How to set chosen packages variable for "Ready to Install" screen summary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hard_At_It
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2003

How to set chosen packages variable for "Ready to Install" screen summary?

Hi, I searched the forum and didn't find an answer to my problem so I'll go ahead and ask this in a new thread (this one).

I'm using SF v6.0.1.2. My project's goal consisted of patching updated files to an application as well as some updated files to add-ons of that application. I've set it up in such a way so that each add-on patch is a separate package so that users can choose to exclude patches for add-ons they don't have installed. I've accomplished this by zipping the updated files for each add-on, retaining their dir structure and have SF set to install each package to the %TempLaunchDir%. I've also set up After Installing actions for each package with the following parameters: Unzip Files (%TempLaunchDir%\MiscAddOn.zip -> %AppDir%). This all seems to be working fine. However, once the installer gets to the Ready to Install screen, by default the following info is displayed:

-------------------
    The installer now has enough information to install %ProductName% on your computer.

The following settings will be used:

Install folder: %AppDir%

Shortcut folder: %SCFolderTitle%

Please click Next to proceed with the installation.
    --------------------

Since these are just patches and there's no need to create a start menu shortcut folder, I've removed the Select Shortcut Folder screen and was able to delete the "Shortcut folder: %SCFolderTitle%" line from the Ready to Install screen. However, I would like the Ready to Install screen to display a list of the selected packages so that users may have a chance to click the 'back' button and make any changes they need to. I would like it to look something like this:

---------------------
    The installer now has enough information to install %ProductName% on your computer.

The following settings will be used:

Install folder: %AppDir%

Options: %InstalledPackages%
    1. ~~~~~
    2. ~~~~~
    3. ~~~~~

Please click Next to proceed with the installation or click Back to make any changes.
    ----------------------

I've scoured the help manual and this forum and haven't sussed out a way to do it. Please help, TIA.
  • Darryl
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jul 2001

This is one method that should work, however there may be other methods as well. Basically all you need to do is compose a string with all of the selected package options to display. I didn't go into the numbering aspect as that gets more complicated. But here is one method of composing a string of the selected packages. For this example, lets assume the variable %PackageOne% is a package variable that contains a TRUE/FALSE value. Go to your "Ready to Install" screen's properties, on the "Before" actions tab. There you could create something like the following with IF control structures and Assign Value actions (the lines with // indicate they are just comments):

//Assign a blank string to the variable (enter nothing in the "Value" field)
    Assign Value(%PackageText%=)

If (%PackageOne% = "TRUE")

//Concatenate the contents of what you want to display for that package on the screen with the current contents of the variable. Also check the "Evaluate value as expression" checkbox.
    Assign Value(%PackageText% = %PackageText% + "Package One")

//In this action enter %PackageText% in the "Value" field, but also add a carriage return so the next text will appear on the next line.
    Assign Value(%PackageText% = %PackageText%)

END IF

Use a series of these control structures for each of the packages that may be selected. The only difference between them is the variable in the IF control structure condition and the actual text you want to concatenate.

Now go to the Custom tab of that screen and enter the variable %PackageText% on the screen and it should display all of the selected package text from above.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
    X