• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HayoOellrich
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2001

Start install with command line args

I coded an installer with SF 6.0.1.2, which runs without problems.

First, an intro screen is shown, where the user has to click on "Start" button to start the installer.

Now I want to installer to be started from a running application (in fact, this running application will be reinstalled).

Is it possible to start the setup in this case with some command line argument, which suppresses the first screen ? The setup should start without any user interaction. I do not want to use a silent install, because nothing happens on screen then for some time (which may cause problems with impatient users...).

Thanks for your help
    Hayo:confused:
  • Brett
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jan 2000

How about writing out a Registry value the first time through. Then have the setup always read that Registry value to a variable at startup. Now just put a condition on the first screen not to show if the value is set. Remember to remove the registry value at the end of the setup if necessary.

Comment

• HayoOellrich
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2001

Yes, Brett,

that will work, of course.

S, what you're saying is that it is not possible to pass "user defined" arguments on the command line (because that would be easier to implement).

Thanks
      Hayo

Comment

• Brett
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jan 2000

From the Help file:

%SetupCmdLineArgs%
        The command line arguments that were passed to the setup executable in their full form. In other words, a string consisting of everything after the filename and extension of the setup executable on the command line.

For example, if the following was run:

C:\setup.exe /L:12 /MYARG

%SetupCmdLineArgs% would contain:

/L:12 /MYARG

Comment

• HayoOellrich
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2001

Yes, Brett,

thats what I was looking for !

Thanks
          Hayo