• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJ Michalski
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Oct 2003

Setup Factory 5 Question

Hello,

I have a project that requires me to fit 600 MB onto a CD-ROM. I am using AutoPlay Menu 4.0 to allow users to just start running the program from the CD. The AutoPlay menu also has an option that allows users to install the entire contents of the CD to their hard drive. Because there is 600MB of information and over 25,000 individual files, I'm running into some problems. Specifically, when I first launch the setup.exe to test it, the "Initializing" screen takes over 2 minutes to go away before the "Welcome" screen finally displays. I'm afraid that users may get frustrated. I am thinking that it would make sense to break up the install procedure into several little files. The problem is that I don't know how to go about this.

My theory is that I need 1 main file called Setup.exe that starts the procedure. Then once that file is done installing, you execute another setup file, maybe named setup2.exe, and it runs and installs its files. After setup2.exe is done installing, you execute a third setup, and so on until all 25,000 files are done.

The problem with this solution is that if the user chooses an install directory for the main setup file other than the default directory, which is "C:\Program Files\ProjectX", they will have to be smart enough to do that on each of the setups after the first one. Ideally, I'd like to allow them to choose the install directory on the first setup.exe and then pass a variable to setup2.exe, setup3.exe and so on that contains the install directory that the user chose, and install there.

Any idea on how to do this or should I plead with my client to change her mind?! :confused: :confused:
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

When you added the files to Setup Factory, did you put them on the Archive tab, or on the CD-ROM tab?

If you have any large files, you might want to access them externally (via the CD-ROM tab) instead of having them packed into the setup.exe, since unpacking them will introduce a delay.

Other than that...it's possible the CD-ROM is slow, or the CD has errors on it that is causing the CD-ROM to "slow down" to read it more carefully. To rule that out, you could try using a different brand of CD-R (avoid the cheap ones...unless it says "made in Japan" which means it's probably Taiyo Yuden which is excellent) and test it in another computer.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• TJ Michalski
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Oct 2003

Setup Factory 5 Question

I put all the files on the CD-ROM tab otherwise my setup.exe would be too fat to fit on the CD.

I will try another brand of CD-ROM to burn to.

Generally speaking though, it takes a good amount of time even when I run the setup.exe from my hard drive.

Comment

Working...
      X