• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marker0077
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2002

The ? char code is not working

First of all, I had already posted about this & the post was removed. For what reason I do not know but please do not do it again.

Secondly, the ? char code is not working with setup factory. I need to rename some files but I want to use the ? char code while renaming. The help file says this works with copy & delete but it does not. Is it just me or is this not working correctly?

I am trying to rename files from " ~Duelers~?~Filename.pk3 " to " ~Duelers~?~Filename%DuelersVersion%.pk3", now the ? char code is not working in this case & I have tried doing this by copy & delete which failed as well. The help file says...

" Source
    The path and filename to copy from (this can include the wildcards "*" and "?").

Destination
    The destination directory and/or file. Do not use wildcards in this field. "

Now this says that you can not use wildcards in the destination field, but the ? char code is not a wildcard.
  • Marker0077
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2002

Re: my post WAS REMOVED & the ? char code is not working

I'm sorry, the delete part is working with the ? char code, but not copy or rename.

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

Your post(s) were removed because you double/triple posted. Creating several new threads with the exact same question will not increase your response rate and is considered by many to be poor forum etiquette as it clutters things and drives more relevant threads down the ladder...

Please try to avoid this in the future, thanks for your co-operation...

Corey Milner
      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Darryl
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jul 2001

Files cannot contain the following characters "\ / : * ? " < > |". This is the reason the actions will not work with your "?" character. You will see this if you try to rename a file in Windows to that file name, you will receive a windows error.

Was there a reason you are using "?" characters in the file name?

Comment

• Marker0077
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2002

Re: my post WAS REMOVED &amp; the ? char code is not working

I created 2 threads, one here looking for an alternate solution &amp; one in the suggestions forum for a new feaure. I did not create more than those 2 threads as far as I know.

Comment

• Marker0077
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2002

If you were in DOS &amp; you typed " rename ~Duelers~?~Filename.pk3 ~Duelers~?~Filename1_2_1.pk3 " it would rename the file with no problems. Where the ? char code is is a number that may vary in the future. The number is there to organize which files get loaded in which order. In this case, we'll say the number is 2. In DOS, it would rename the file using the 2 char code where the ? char code is with no problems.

I was looking to do the same thing with setup factory. This already works with delete &amp; this works in the source part of copy (but not destination).

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

Hi. Actually you created 3 threads with the exact same question yesterday and again another one today so I deleted 3 and left 1. But even 2 is not necessary to get a good response. Just create one, you can be certain our support staff will read it and, if they have anything to offer, will post to your thread regardless of which forum it's in.

Believe me, if they can help they will, and it's easier for them to help you and everyone else if we all post each question to the board only once. If it's a case where you'd like a thread moved to the suggestion forum or something like that, just ask, I'm always happy to do that for you...

If you do create multiple identical threads, they get removed in order to keep things clean and relevant here. If you create threads which are unproductive or mostly negative those get removed too. That's forum policy and it's in place in order to make sure that everyone gets heard, so that our forum search results stay extremely fast and relevant because the database isn't bogged down with 3-4 copies of each thread, and also so that the forum remains a pleasant environment for users from all walks of life to enjoy...

That's how it seems to work best for the majority, I hope that makes sense to you too... After all that very policy is there to make sure you have a nice clean place to post and get quick responses to your posts (such as the one you got from Darryl a mere 4 hours or so after your initial post [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) and it seems to have worked for you in that regard...

So please bear that in mind for the future, thanks... We appreciate the co-operation of all our forum users in keeping this a great place to meet and exchange info...

Corey Milner

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

Anyways like Darryl said, "Files cannot contain the following characters "\ / : * ? " < > |". This is the reason the actions will not work with your "?" character. You will see this if you try to rename a file in Windows to that file name, you will receive a windows error.
                "

Notices he states Windows, not DOS since this is a windows application. If you say you can/prefer to do it in DOS then create a batch file, there are plenty great links at Google to help you do that.

So that is why you can't do that. Your suggestion that you would like that to be changed in a future version has been noted by the support staff and recorded in our database. Thanks, there's nothing more we can offer to help you with this specific point at this time.

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                X