• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • queadlunnrau
    Forum Member
    • May 2003

Multiple install directories?

I'm working on a little patch that adds some new files to a game and one of it's expansion packs. The expansion pack installs to a different directory.
    So far I have the installer set up to find the directories automatically, and I had thought the best way to go about this was to have the user select whether they wanted to apply the patch to the game, the expansion pack, or both.
    I'm not entirely sure where to go at this point.
    Any pointers?
  • Darryl
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jul 2001

Re: Multiple install directories?

Since you have the directories automatically found, you likely have those paths stored in a variable that can then be used as the destination paths for your files.

One method that could be used is to group the files into packages so all you need to do is set the package variable to TRUE in order to install all of it's files.

Yes, you could certainly use a Checkbox screen to ask the user which option they would like to choose.

If you need the user to browse for multiple paths, you also have the Edit Boxes screen that can be used to allow the user to select a directory. Of course there is also the Select Install Folder screen.

I'm not sure what type of information you were looking for, but if you have any further questions, feel free to post back.

Comment

• queadlunnrau
      Forum Member
      • May 2003

"you likely have those paths stored in a variable that can then be used as the destination paths for your files."

- I do.

"One method that could be used is to group the files into packages"

- I was playing around with that...having a little trouble here and there...Is it necessary to have both the 'Install Type' screen and 'Select Package' screen in order for this to work? If not, then I have been missing a step somewhere.

The installer I am working on has only a handful of files. However, I'm a little stuck because those files could (depending on the user's wishes) be installed to two different directories. I can easily determine the location of those directories, and have stored them in a variable. If the user decides on a "complete" install, which would install the files (theoretically) to both directories, how would I go about setting that up? The only other solution that I could think of was to initially unpack all the files to a temp directory, and then, depending on the install type, have them copied to the appropriate locations.

Comment

• Darryl
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jul 2001

As far as the Install Type screen and Select Packages screen go, yes they were designed to work together, however they don't have to. There are really a bunch of different methods of going about this and I'm not sure what the best way is. Packages are essentially just variables that control whether or not it's files are installed or not. You can set those variables any way you wish, whether it be by the install type or just a checkbox screen or radio button screen.

The destination for your files can be set up as a variable, or likely two different variables. At runtime you can then assign whatever value you want as it's destination value.

As far as prompting the user for paths, you have two options, either the Edit Boxes screen where they could browse for a directory, or 2 Install Folder screens. It's up to you.

I may have misinterpreted your question a little. Are you wanting to install one or more files to two different destination directories, or just have a subset of files go to one location and another subset go to another location?

Comment

• queadlunnrau
          Forum Member
          • May 2003

"I may have misinterpreted your question a little. Are you wanting to install one or more files to two different destination directories, or just have a subset of files go to one location and another subset go to another location?"
          - Yes, I am trying to get the installer to install about 19 files one or two (that's their option) different directories.
          That's the part that has me stuck because those same 19 files go to the second directory as well as the first and I'm not sure how to set it up for that (that those files can be installed to both locations) to work as a package/install type.

Comment

• Darryl
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Jul 2001

Sorry for the delayed response. No, I'm sorry it is not possible to install a file to two different destinations. However there are two possible workarounds:

1) You can include two copies of the same file name in the install as long as they come from two different source directories. Therefore if size isn't an issue, that method is possible.

2) As you mentioned, you could install one copy and then either copy or use the install file action to install them to the other destination location.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• queadlunnrau
              Forum Member
              • May 2003

Yes, that helps a little. Well, a lot, actually.
              I'll try and work out some of the Custom Install Type variables and if I have any more problems I'll just ask.
              Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X