• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brixie11
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2003

Troubles with the Default Path

I have problems with default path for instalation.
    I putted some files in the archive tab and change the destination to %AppDir%\Images, but when the program wants to install, I get a message "Cannot create directory".
    However when I change when askd for Installation directory, then everything is ok. I just have to point an existing directory.

Thanx, Brixie
  • Darryl
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jul 2001

Re: Troubles with the Default Path

From your description it sounds like you do not want to include the "Select Install Folder" screen. If that is the case, your problem is likely due to the fact that %AppDir% does not have a value at that point in time. If you are not using that screen, you will need to define a valid path for %AppDir% in the following location.

Go to Design->General Design
    Click the Settings tab.
    At the bottom in the "Variable Defaults" section, you will see a field for %AppDir%. Make sure that value is correct and valid.

If this is not the case, post back and we'll go from there.

Comment

• brixie11
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2003

Hi.

Thanx for quick reply.

Problem is that i want to have "Select Install Folder", but when I leave it by default, I can't install my program.

I have one file with destination %AppDir%, and several jpg images with %AppDir%\Images which I changed file properties to that folder.

The program just cant create default directory. But if I change folder within "Select Install Folder" screen then program creates that folder without any problems.

Thanx, Brixie

Comment

• Darryl
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jul 2001

OK, I understand now. If you are using %AppDir% as your default path, then you MUST define the value of that variable before it is used as the default. That screen is used to set the value of %AppDir%, but if you have an incorrect default value, it will then set it to an incorrect path and it will fail.

Make sure you set the default install path as mentioned in the previous post.

What I suggest to you is to create a Dialog Message action with the display text as %AppDir% or even "%AppDir%" so you can see if there are any spaces. At runtime when that value is displayed, is it a correct path? If not, that is the source of your problem.

Comment

• brixie11
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2003

Hi.

I putted text screen. The default directory is C:\Program Files\MyFolder.

When i did that everything was ok, Progrqam did install it corectly, but when I uninstall it and then try to install it again, program said that it can not create folder.

Thanx, Brixie

Comment

• Darryl
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Jul 2001

I tried exactly what you explained and didn't have any problems, therefore I think I'll have to see your project file in order to diagnose the problem. If you send it to [email protected], and I'll take a look.

Comment

• brixie11
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2003

I've sended you an e-mail, I hope you can help me.

Thanx, Brixie

Comment

Working...
              X