• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alanK
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Feb 2002

Network drives

Can anyone suggest a way to determine if the %AppDir% is on a network drive. I want to install an extra file if the user is installing onto a network drive.
  • Darryl
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jul 2001

Re: Network drives

I'm not aware of any way that this could be determined. The only way I could think of was to ask the user during the installation, possibly presenting the Select Drive screen at some point if they wanted a network drive install.

There may be information in the Registry that could be read, however I couldn't seem to find anything.

Comment

• Worm
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jul 2002

Make a call to the Kernel32.dll

Use the GetDriveTypeA function, if it the return result is a 4, then it is a Network Drive.

Comment

• alanK
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Feb 2002

Thanks. Works fine, so long as you select _stdcall as the calling convention.

Comment

• Worm
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jul 2002

I guess I should have thrown that out there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• csd214
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2001

Worm, you deal with DLLs as they were your closest friends (I’m envious). Could you, or anybody else, tell me exactly how to call GetDriveTypeA in SUF? (Parameters and so on.) I should really like to have my app to check for a network drive in a more efficient way than to use the Select Drive screen (network drives only).

And.. Does anybody know a working method to detect whether a network is present? (You can’t rely on %LANDomain% on NTFS systems).

Comment

• Worm
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jul 2002

I don't hav SF6 installed on this machine, but GetDriveTypeA takes one parameter of the type string

GetDriveTypeA("C:\")

If you can't figure it out from that, let me know, and when I get home I'll fire up SF and get the actual code for you.

Comment

• csd214
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2001

Thx! I have tried everything from the letter “C” to escaped backslash (“C:\\”) as String1 in the SF6 input field <"String 1","String 2",1,0>. I have set String 2 to empty (without the second string parameter the app crashes). Calling convention: _stdcall. The return value is always empty.

Comment

• Worm
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jul 2002

Here is an export of the action
                  Attached Files

Comment

• csd214
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2001

GREAT! Thank you very much, Worm.

It is rarely wise to execute commands you really do not understand, but thanks to your help I feel confident with the GetDriveType. Maybe I shall now be able to utilize the MS information about Windows API in another SF6 scenario. If it might be helpful to somebody else, the MS link to Windows API is found here

The link 'Reference' displays Functions in Alpabetical order, and here you can find the other return variables from the GetDriveType function.

Comment

Working...
                    X