Installer crashing when trying to detect an internet connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rommel
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2003

Installer crashing when trying to detect an internet connection.

Why should my setup programme crash at the internet connection detect stage when using Win95b IE4 and a connection over a (disconnected) LAN.

With the LAN connected the internet connection is detected and the setup continues. But disconnect the LAN and the setup programme seems to hang, until a system 'not responding' message is received.

What could be causing this and how can I prevent it.

I don't believe its a system issue, as the lack of network is gracefully acknowledged in Network Neighbourhood.
  • Darryl
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jul 2001

Re: Installer crashing when trying to detect an internet connection.

Sorry for the delayed response to your question. Yes, this is a problem on Windows 95, and maybe other non-NT OS's. One thing I should mention is that the action does return after roughly 7 minutes or so. You will notice that if you unplug your network cable and launch Internet Explorer, it will take about half that time for the system to detect that internet access cannot be found. We go through the TCPIP stack and check a couple of sites, so that is why it takes that amount of time.

Accessing the network is different than having internet access.

We'll have someone look into alternate methods in the future though.

Comment

• rommel
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2003

Re: Installer crashing when trying to detect an internet connection.

Thanks for your response.

But why do you go throught the TCPIP stack? I input the site I want checking, so you don't really need to check any others. What's going on within the programme?

Rommel

Comment

Working...
      X