• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbungay
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2003

Mysterious Registered (yet unregistered) OCX's

I have created several of my own Active X Controls for use within the rather large project we are creating here and while VB likes them and they appear to be registered, SF says;
    "The Following controls could not be located
    They may not be registered properly"

OK, I know they are registered... so what criteria is SF6 using to judge if they are registered 'properly'. Why can VBs IDE find them in the Component manager but SF6 can't when it examines the project? Weird.
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Re: Mysterious Registered (yet unregistered) OCX's

Hi sbungay,

Basically Setup Factory scans the VB project file, and then uses the information stored within there to look up the dependency file locations via the registry.

Setup Factory looks for your OCX files information in: HKEY_CLASSES_RROT\TypeLib\

If it cannot find the OCX there, or the location of the OCX does not correspond to the location specified in the Registry, Setup Factory will respond be saying that the file may not be registered properly.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• sbungay
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2003

I would agree however the file DOES exist where the VBP says it is, and the registry entries DO point to the same directories. Now I read somewhere in here that it (SF6) also looks at the version information in the registry and compares that to the version information in the OCX. OK. I have a control I wrote called DesignTree, the VBP is set to version 1.0.5 and this is also the version that the OCX reports in it's properties.... but... the registry reports version 56, in fact all of the items complained about by SF have version numbers in the registry that differ from those of the OCX files. I can understand SF getting flustered if the versions don't match. But this brings up another question... read on.
      I have also seen version numbers in the registry that appear to be in Hex (i.e. it reads version C.0 in the registry and when you do a properties on the file it says the version is 12). Are Registry Version numbers stored in Hex? This would explain the aparent difference between the version number seen in the OCX's Properties and the version seen in the registry. If it is in Hex then how would something like 1.0.0.12 get encoded? (1.0.0.C)?

Comment

• Mark
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jun 2000

Hi,

Yes the problem is definitely the version numbers. Setup Factory 6.0 reads the version information from the Visual Basic project file and then looks for the OCX's information in the registry using that information.

Setup Factory doesn't know anything about the file except for what it reads in the Visual Basic project. So if the version information in the registry does not match what is in the project file, Setup Factory really can't do anything about it.

I have seen version numbers in the registry that appear to be in hex (b.0) and others that don't (12.0), so I do not know if there is any specific rule regarding the version numbering.

MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Working...
        X