v8.0.1.1 much much bigger exe file produced than v7.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harrismail
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2006

v8.0.1.1 much much bigger exe file produced than v7.5?

I just wonder why an exe file produced with v7.5 is just over 1MB in size but with v8 the size of the exported project exe is now nearer 7MB!!!

Is this just the way it is with the new version?

Steve
  • sim
    No longer a forum member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by harrismail View Post
    I just wonder why an exe file produced with v7.5 is just over 1MB in size but with v8 the size of the exported project exe is now nearer 7MB!!!

Is this just the way it is with the new version?

Steve
    The layer of protection and the fact of lua 5.1's dlls added the project, the foot print is bigger I agree
    but since the beta the timeis way faster and I don't see 2 much of a problem with 7 meg but if there
    get any bigger EXE projects might be a thing of the past as decompressing to the temps all the time
    would slow down.

Comment

• harrismail
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2006

It's just that if running a project from a CD it does seem to take longer to load and run.

6MB is quite a big difference between version 7 and 8's exe's and that's besides the dll's which I haven't included (that's an extra 350kb)

Not a problem if run from HD or USB but maybe more so for CD, DVD and even Blu-ray?

Steve

Comment

• sim
        No longer a forum member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by harrismail View Post
        It's just that if running a project from a CD it does seem to take longer to load and run.

6MB is quite a big difference between version 7 and 8's exe's and that's besides the dll's which I haven't included (that's an extra 350kb)

Not a problem if run from HD or USB but maybe more so for CD, DVD and even Blu-ray?

Steve
        I don't see why it would be slower on CD long as its accessing the CD for the files as it as nothing to decomplie far as I know but I am limited here as I never used IR to make CD's I always using it to make HDD and Web EXE's lol

Comment

• Ulrich
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Apr 2005

See Edit > Preferences > Build > Publish > UPX runtime. If checked, this will compress the runtime to 2.41 MB.

Ulrich

Comment

• sim
            No longer a forum member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ulrich View Post
            See Edit > Preferences > Build > Publish > UPX runtime. If checked, this will compress the runtime to 2.41 MB.

Ulrich
            the UPX options better or the same as the others ? and what decomperssion like when running?

Comment

• harrismail
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2006

Hi Ulrich,

1. Do v7 exe's compress by default? or are those exe's smaller because there's less in it?

2. Does the UPX runtime (compression) option mean that if used then when the exe is run it takes that little bit extra time to "decompress" when the exe is run. So in your opininon is it better to use the "full sized" exe so that no decompression takes place even though it is larger? I suppose there might not be a lot in it either way?

Steve

Comment

• Ulrich
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Apr 2005

Hi Ulrich,
                1. Do v7 exe's compress by default? or are those exe's smaller because there's less in it?
                There is support for new actions, libraries and objects in AutoPlay Media Studio 8.0, which unfortunately resulted in a larger executable.

2. Does the UPX runtime (compression) option mean that if used then when the exe is run it takes that little bit extra time to "decompress" when the exe is run. So in your opininon is it better to use the "full sized" exe so that no decompression takes place even though it is larger? I suppose there might not be a lot in it either way?
                Yes, the executable has to be decompressed in memory, so you have a delay of a couple of milliseconds. In theory, reading from an optical drive like a CD or DVD takes longer than decompressing the file in memory, so using a UPX compressed runtime on a CD will result in a shorter startup time. When running the project from the hard disk, only The Flash might perceive a difference.

Ulrich

Comment

• harrismail
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2006

Thanks Ulrich,

That answers my questions nicely

Steve

Comment

• madsen
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Jun 2004

Was about to make a thread about how great UPX reduces the size of the runtime

File size Ratio Format Name
                    -------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
                    6401024 -> 2720768 42.51% win32/pe autorun.exe
                    Did it manually though.

I would also like to add that UPX works on DLL files as well (for who didn't already knew), therefore, for web distributed apps smaller size works:

-------------------- ------ ----------- ----------
                    325960 -> 161608 49.58% win32/pe lua5.1.dll
                    It also works ont he transition plugin thing:

-------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
                    135168 -> 51712 38.26% win32/pe IRSlideTransition.tns

LOL, I went postal on the files You get the idea.
                    Human Relativity: No one is alike, which is what makes us alike, at any given time. --Myself

Comment

Working...
                    X