PDA

View Full Version : v8.0.1.1 much much bigger exe file produced than v7.5?

harrismail
05-22-2010, 06:54 AM
I just wonder why an exe file produced with v7.5 is just over 1MB in size but with v8 the size of the exported project exe is now nearer 7MB!!!

Is this just the way it is with the new version?

Steve

sim
05-22-2010, 07:11 AM
I just wonder why an exe file produced with v7.5 is just over 1MB in size but with v8 the size of the exported project exe is now nearer 7MB!!!

Is this just the way it is with the new version?

Steve

The layer of protection and the fact of lua 5.1's dlls added the project, the foot print is bigger I agree
but since the beta the timeis way faster and I don't see 2 much of a problem with 7 meg but if there
get any bigger EXE projects might be a thing of the past as decompressing to the temps all the time
would slow down.

harrismail
05-22-2010, 07:51 AM
It's just that if running a project from a CD it does seem to take longer to load and run.

6MB is quite a big difference between version 7 and 8's exe's and that's besides the dll's which I haven't included (that's an extra 350kb)

Not a problem if run from HD or USB but maybe more so for CD, DVD and even Blu-ray?

Steve

sim
05-22-2010, 08:02 AM
It's just that if running a project from a CD it does seem to take longer to load and run.

6MB is quite a big difference between version 7 and 8's exe's and that's besides the dll's which I haven't included (that's an extra 350kb)

Not a problem if run from HD or USB but maybe more so for CD, DVD and even Blu-ray?

Steve

I don't see why it would be slower on CD long as its accessing the CD for the files as it as nothing to decomplie far as I know but I am limited here as I never used IR to make CD's I always using it to make HDD and Web EXE's lol

Ulrich
05-22-2010, 09:01 AM
See Edit > Preferences > Build > Publish > UPX runtime. If checked, this will compress the runtime to 2.41 MB.

Ulrich

sim
05-22-2010, 09:15 AM
See Edit > Preferences > Build > Publish > UPX runtime. If checked, this will compress the runtime to 2.41 MB.

Ulrich

the UPX options better or the same as the others ? and what decomperssion like when running?

harrismail
05-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi Ulrich,

1. Do v7 exe's compress by default? or are those exe's smaller because there's less in it?

2. Does the UPX runtime (compression) option mean that if used then when the exe is run it takes that little bit extra time to "decompress" when the exe is run. So in your opininon is it better to use the "full sized" exe so that no decompression takes place even though it is larger? I suppose there might not be a lot in it either way?

Steve

Ulrich
05-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Ulrich,
1. Do v7 exe's compress by default? or are those exe's smaller because there's less in it?

There is support for new actions, libraries and objects in AutoPlay Media Studio 8.0, which unfortunately resulted in a larger executable.

2. Does the UPX runtime (compression) option mean that if used then when the exe is run it takes that little bit extra time to "decompress" when the exe is run. So in your opininon is it better to use the "full sized" exe so that no decompression takes place even though it is larger? I suppose there might not be a lot in it either way?

Yes, the executable has to be decompressed in memory, so you have a delay of a couple of milliseconds. In theory, reading from an optical drive like a CD or DVD takes longer than decompressing the file in memory, so using a UPX compressed runtime on a CD will result in a shorter startup time. When running the project from the hard disk, only The Flash might perceive a difference. :)

Ulrich

harrismail
05-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Ulrich,

That answers my questions nicely ;)

Steve

madsen
05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Was about to make a thread about how great UPX reduces the size of the runtime :)

File size Ratio Format Name
-------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
6401024 -> 2720768 42.51% win32/pe autorun.exe

Did it manually though.

I would also like to add that UPX works on DLL files as well (for who didn't already knew), therefore, for web distributed apps smaller size works:

-------------------- ------ ----------- ----------
325960 -> 161608 49.58% win32/pe lua5.1.dll

It also works ont he transition plugin thing:

-------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
135168 -> 51712 38.26% win32/pe IRSlideTransition.tns

LOL, I went postal on the files :) You get the idea.