• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcorbett2
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2003

Burning a CD-R and making it run a slideshow

I have a photojam slideshow that i want to include in an APM project. I made a button to click on to activate the slideshow. I would like for it to run off of the burnt CD. Which action do I use?
    I used the "execute file" action and it looked like this
    <IR_ACTIONS_LIST>
    <Action name="Open">
    <Type>7</Type>
    <Function>0</Function>
    <DTIndentLevel>0</DTIndentLevel>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <ErrorHandling>
    <UserNotificationMode>2</UserNotificationMode>
    <CustomErrorMessage/>
    <OnErrorAction>0</OnErrorAction>
    <JumpToLabel/>
    </ErrorHandling>
    <FileName>%SrcDir%\inremembrance.exe</FileName>
    <Verb>open</Verb>
    <WorkingDir/>
    <RunMode>0</RunMode>
    </Action>
    </IR_ACTIONS_LIST>
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Burning a CD-R and making it run a slideshow

And did that work?

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• jcorbett2
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2003

No it didn't...I think the problem is in using a virtual CD folder, but I am new to this and am not quite sure about how to go about it.

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

You can set the working directory in the FILE > EXECUTE dialog if you know it's name... For example if it creates the virtual folder in the windows temp directory, or any other spot which you know ahead of time, it's easy to add that to the action and then it should work fine... You must know the name and location of the folder it creates though. If you don't you could always use a file search action to determine the virtual folder location first and then set it into the file execute action dynamically but that would cause a delay in your app while the action searches for the virtual folder...

Corey Milner

Comment

• jcorbett2
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2003

OK....I created a stand alone slideshow using PhotoJam 3 Pro. Then i made an AutoRun with your program. In that autorun I wanted abutton to call the slideshow to run off of the CD.
          When I made the slideshow I specified an empty folder on my desktop for the creation destination. Then when i went to burn the CD I used the Burning software to indicate the required APM files and also ALL of the Slideshow files.
          As I said before I chose the ACTION from the APM editor File..Execute, but what should I indicate as the DRIVE? the default says %SrcDir%\inremembrance.exe

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

That's a filename not a drive name. %SrcDir%\ is a folder name, and it relates to your Ditribution Folder. So if you put your .exe in your Distribution folder and then set your file as %SrcDir%\irememberace,exe and your wokring directory to %SrcDir% that should work fine unless your slideshow is extracting to another folder at runtime...

You can also use a file open action and just point it at your .exe, i.e. put your .exe in your distribution folder and use a FILE > OPEN action set to wherever it is, i.e. %SrcDir%\irememberance.exe

BTW one way to check if your slideshow is an archive is to try and unzip it in Winzip or Winrar. If so, then extract all it's files to your distribution folder first and point to whatever .exe is there. If not then just proceed as above.

Corey Milner

Comment

• jcorbett2
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2003

So...where it says %srcdir% I should type in what? or should I just transfer the entire folder to the CD and then type the name of the folder there?

Comment

• Worm
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Jul 2002

%SrcDir% is a built in variable that is populated with the Folder that the Autorun.exe is executed from. At Design time, it is populated with the Distribution Folder's path.

Comment

• jcorbett2
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2003

Gee guys, I am so sorry to appear stupid, but I just cannot get it. I have burned like 10 CDs, but to no avail.
                  What should I type in that action?

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

Hi, OK:

1. Put your .exe in your distribution folder.
                    2. Add a FILE > OPEN action to the "OnInitialize" event of your project's first page.
                    3. In the "file to open" field of your FILE > OPEN action type %SrcDir%\ then the name of your .exe, i.e. %SrcDir%\yourfile.exe
                    4. Preview your project, it should work. You do not need to burn a CD to preview your project.

BTW no one is stupid here, we're all fishing the same stream. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You're always welcome to ask anything here, and you're always welcome to re-ask whenever you need clarification. We're all here to help...

Corey Milner

Comment

• jcorbett2
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2003

I think I understnad it this morning, I got a bit brain-dead last night...Should the action look something like this:
                      C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\FOLDERNAME\yourfile.exe

Comment

Working...
                      X