• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eric_darling
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2002

Strange, Random Bug

The worst kind of bug - the one you can't chase down. Man, how I long for a debugger in AMS!

I build my project, it's got a Flash object that gets hidden on page's initialize. The Flash object is shown, a flash file is loaded, then played whenever I move my mouse over various images. On Mouse Leave of those images, the movie is stopped, and the Flash object is re-hidden.

I have turned off error notification on all of the Flash commands I can find. I have also turned off the "automatically start" checkbox in the Flash object itself. However, I am randomly seeing a "cannot play Flash1" message when the project loads (the first page is the main menu, which is where the Flash object is). Sometimes I see the message, other times I don't. It's random on both of my computers.

What's the story? Should I sleep my application for a second or something when it first loads to avoid any pre-mature rollover effects from attempting to launch a hidden Flash object? Something's up here. I'm lost at this point. Anyone who can offer any insight, I'd be most grateful.
    Eric Darling
    eThree Media
    http://www.ethreemedia.com
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Strange, Random Bug

It sounds like you are trying to send an action to a hidden flash object at some point... Frustrating I know but if you break it all down into chunks it might help. Obviously if you post your project I'll be happy to have a look and see if I can help track down the varmint in question...

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• eric_darling
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2002

But why would it be random and only ever occuring when the project starts (before any user interaction occurs)? That's what gets me.
      Eric Darling
      eThree Media
      http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Because it's a case of you showing something and then acting on it immediately, sometimes it makes it in time, sometimes it doesn't. There's a slight delay between the time you show a flash object and the time where it's ready to accept actions, very slight...

I notice your file here, I'll get to it soon...

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
        X