• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geoffh
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2003

Second Project help

I am quite new to Autoplay. I have completed one project but need to get in more hours.

The CD based product training project conisted of Swish animated menus saved as Flash movies. The menu's linked to video saved as wmv and some Camtasia screen captures saved as avi (using the tscc codec). I did have problems with users not being able to play the wmv.

I have these questions about improving project design.

In Swish the menu aninmations can be exported as AVI or Flash. Which format would be best to use. I also want to be able to jump to specific places in the animation, is that possible?

I know this ones been asked before. Which video format is recommended for the best compromise of highest quality and user playability. AVI, WMV, QT?

For Camtasia screen captures what is the best format? avi, Flash, etc? for playability and quality.

I am starting my second project which will be almost identical as the first but I want to make sure I design it better this time and improve the playability so that it caters to the lowest common denominator hopefully.
    cheers Geoff
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Second Project help

Hi.

In Swish the menu aninmations can be exported as AVI or Flash. Which format would be best to use. I also want to be able to jump to specific places in the animation, is that possible?

>>> Which is best depends on what you're doing. Flash is better used for interactive presentations, and video, well it's video... Totally passive, very little interactivity but high impact. If you post a few details about the specific usage I can make a better assessment for you. Whether you use Flash or video it's still easy to jump to specific places within your movie using SEEK actions for the given object type... Here's a couple random thoughts:

Macromedia Flash
    A few "pros":
    - Highly interactive
    - Powerful programming via actionscript
    - Relatively lightweight file sizes
    - Usually runs OK on older systems (depends on material)
    - Can do double duty for web and CD
    - Can import video, images, text, etc. dynamically at runtime
    - Can interact with database, javascript, .exe applications, etc.
    - Resizes well and can go *true* fullscreen

A few "cons":
    - Audio can drop out of sync on certain machines
    - User must have Flash plug-in installed
    - Depending on your skills design process can take a long time

Video
    A few "pros":
    - Perfect audio/video sync
    - High impact and familiar, people are used to watching TV
    - Can use special effects and transitions
    - Can do double duty for web and CD ROM
    - Can go *true* fullscreen
    - Audio track can be very intricate/precise
    - Allows you 100% control over what the end user sees

A few "cons":
    - Relatively large file sizes
    - Unpredicatable performance on older systems
    - Resizing dynamically can result in quality loss
    - Requires user to have correct player/codecs
    - Very limited user interactivity
    - Design process can take a long time

I know this ones been asked before. Which video format is recommended for the best compromise of highest quality and user playability. AVI, WMV, QT?

>>> The rumor from the experts is MPEG although I tend to use AVI for my training materials (TSCC Codec), sometimes I convert to Flash. That's just my opinion, I'm not a video expert though... For live motion video don't use TSCC by the way, it's better used for screen videos, etc.

For Camtasia screen captures what is the best format? avi, Flash, etc? for playability and quality.

>>> I like AVI with TSCC but converting to Flash is good too. I've noticed that Camtasia Producer seems to do pretty good with most formats though.

I am starting my second project which will be almost identical as the first but I want to make sure I design it better this time and improve the playability so that it caters to the lowest common denominator hopefully.

>>> We're here for you anytime, ask anything you need...

BTW here's a link you may enjoy http://www.indigorose.com/ubbthreads...mp;o=&vc=1

cheers Geoff

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Geoffh
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2003

Thanks Corey.
      It sounds like Flash is the way to go for the animated text menus. I'll try the seek command. With the first project I cut the animations up into specific portions and placed the portions on individual pages which I could go to. This worked O.K. except I got break-up on the graphics. I think where two portions of graphics ran one after the other.

Anyway
      Thanks again.
      I'll see how far I get.
      Geoff

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

A better way is to use the Flash to load/unload other .swfs into itself internally and just go with one page. I don't know how advanced your flash is so here's a very simple page link which explains that, if you need something more advanced just let me know. The bottom line, it's worth learning to do this, it'll only take you a few minutes to "get it" and then all your Flash movies will have moved up one notch.

Network Solutions - Original domain name registration and reservation services with variety of internet-related business offerings. Quick, dependable and reliable.

Don't get discouraged, it's really easy, you'll see. And once you know how to load and unload .swfs into your main .swf the new possibilties will blow your mind. This one will give you a lot of newfound impact for very little cost in terms of time spent learning...

If you have any hassles making it work, let me know and we'll get it figured out...

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
        X