• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eric_darling
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2002

Jumpy video

I'm on version 4, so I hope I can still help you.

Let's see here... How long are these videos? It will help me do some rudimentary math to sort out if you are using a legal data rate.
    Eric Darling
    eThree Media
    http://www.ethreemedia.com
  • mclintock
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2003

Re: Jumpy video

The videos are almost 3 minutes long.

Comment

• eric_darling
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2002

Your approximate data rate for these videos is too high.
      3185.77 kilobits/second is far too much for data to play back in real time from a CD-ROM reliably.

Try cutting the rate by more than half and building your project again. Your movies should end up somewhere around 270000 kilobits total, or about 33 MB.

The magic number is about 1500 kilobits per second for reliable playback across CD-ROM drives of all makes and models. Even if your drive is rated to handle much faster data flow, remember that those ratings cheat. CD-ROM drives cannot spin at their maximum rates on the inside tracks, and the inside tracks is where CDs begin to burn their data (as you are probably already aware if you've ever flipped a CD-R upside down and seen the change in the color of the organic dye there). Unless your project is nearing the capacity of your CD (700 MB?), and you have specified that the AVI files receive highest priority in your CD burning software, I'm afraid they won't ever spin at the published CD read speeds of any drive.
      Eric Darling
      eThree Media

Comment

• mclintock
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2003

Thanks I'll try that. When I read your reply I checked my encoder settings and the "limit data rate to" box wasn't checked. So that makes sense why it was skipping.

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

Another interesting fact I learned from Eric... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We should see about drafting up a reccomendation for video usage for our knowledge base here in the forum based upon what you've said...

Corey Milner
          Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• eric_darling
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2002

My thoughts exactly, Corey. There was another post about a week ago on the very same topic - still waiting to hear if that solved his particular problems:

Eric Darling
            eThree Media

Comment

Working...
            X