Having problems getting certain pdf files to open up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dugarte
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2006

Having problems getting certain pdf files to open up.

Hello all,

I'm having some problems with certain pdf files in my project not opening up. At first I thought that the file names were too long but the problem continued after I shortened the file names. The strange thing is that the files open just fine when I preview (F5) the project but not when I publish the project onto a CD.

I hope you guys can help.
  • dugarte
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2006

Okay, I checked the disk and noticed that the reason that the files wont open is because the files in question are not on the disk. Somehow AutoPlay is excluding these files when it's publishing project on to the disk. Has anyone had this type of problem before?

Comment

• Ulrich
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Apr 2005

Are you sure these files are correctly placed in the AutoPlay\Docs folder in your project source tree, or you read them from some other folder of your hard drive?

Ulrich

Comment

• longedge
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Aug 2003

One possibility - when you build an application AMS will optimise the resources for you i.e. any stuff that you've accumulated and that isn't used in the final build is deleted. One of the options that you should tick when doing a final build is to confirm deletion otherwise dynamically loaded resources get deleted.

p.s. Having read Ulrich's response I should add that I am assuming that your pdf's are contained within the project folder structure.
        Last edited by longedge; 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• dugarte
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by upeters View Post
          Are you sure these files are correctly placed in the AutoPlay\Docs folder in your project source tree, or you read them from some other folder of your hard drive?

Ulrich
          Yes, the files in question are in my folder structure (docs folder). That is what is strange about this problem. I tried looking at the individual files to see if there was some sort of setting that somehow prevented them from being burned or copied but found nothing.

Thanks

David

Comment

• dugarte
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by longedge View Post
            One possibility - when you build an application AMS will optimise the resources for you i.e. any stuff that you've accumulated and that isn't used in the final build is deleted. One of the options that you should tick when doing a final build is to confirm deletion otherwise dynamically loaded resources get deleted.

p.s. Having read Ulrich's response I should add that I am assuming that your pdf's are contained within the project folder structure.
            Under optimized resources the "Confirm deletion" option was checked and also under the "folders to clean" section "Docs folder" was unchecked.

I'll keep trouble shooting.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

• Ulrich
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Apr 2005

So far, I can't see how this could happen...

If you publish to a hard drive folder, are those files copied to the target folder? If you burn the contents of that folder manually (using the software that came with the drive or computer), does it work?

You said that you shortened the file names. Could you try to make them 8.3, without spaces, symbols, etc.? Like DOCUM001.PDF, for example?

If anything else fails, would you be able to export your project and attach it here allowing us to inspect the settings and file names you are using?

Ulrich

Comment

• MSP
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2008

Apostrophe

Just to reiterate what Ulrich has stated below. I have had problems before with apostrophe's in the name of files. Autoplay will use the \' in the file name. It took me forever to figure this out once. Just use letters and numbers, no symbols or spaces.

Comment

• longedge
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Aug 2003

Another thought - filenames must be Joliet compliant. Off the top of my head, the filename including the full path must be less than 256 chars. Could that be the cause.

If some files are being copied and others aren't, then what is the difference between them?

Have you renamed files after designing the project but before building it perhaps?

Comment

• DeeGeeTX
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Feb 2009

Having similar probs with pdf files opening..

they look fine in preview...[i am working on an XP computer]

These pdf files have the same name as they did in my 5.0 projects that worked fine - only reason I've gotten the 7.5 update is so any end-user's Vista computer can open the VCD.

Now, my secy with an XP computer cannot open the Powerpoint files, while she CAN open up the .pdf files...!!??

I am confused. This doesnt make any sense.

QU:Has this new 7.5 update now restricted the naming of the .pdf files?
                    some of these VCDs have 15 files - tech papers, MSDS sheets.

[okay, now my .pdf files are all under CD Root/Acrofolder... no Acrofiles folder in which they reside. The action lines reflect this, though]

I am still having to use the old Adobe Acrobat 5.0 reader that I got from them when I first got the AMS 5.0. Adobe has deemed me to much of a putz to send me an update Reader program to use... sigh

Any enlightenement is greatly appreciated!

DeeGeeTX

Comment

Working...
                    X