Mouse Over Text: Can I Add Italics, Change Font, etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdanniel
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2003

Mouse Over Text: Can I Add Italics, Change Font, etc.?

Hello, I am using version 4.0.0.4.

I've created Mouse Over text for some buttons, but have not figured out if it's possible to change the font, add bold face, italics, underlines, etc.

Is it possible to add such formatting to Mouse Over Text for buttons? If so, what is the procedure?

Thank you! J. Danniel
  • TJ_Tigger
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Sep 2002

Re: Mouse Over Text: Can I Add Italics, Change Font, etc.?

I am assuming that when you are talking about Mouse Over text, you are replacing the text in a Text.Object with some other text, then on the Mouse Leave, you are reverting to the original text.

If this is true, then in my limited knowledge of AMS and how it functions, I don't think it is possible to change the font in the Text.Object. Once it is set, it is set.

However, what you could do on your Mouse Over actions, you could Page.Hide the Text.Object and then Page.Show the one that contains the formatting you want to have displayed.

Just a thought
    TJ-Tigger
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
    Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• jdanniel
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2003

However, what you could do on your Mouse Over actions, you could Page.Hide the Text.Object and then Page.Show the one that contains the formatting you want to have displayed.
      Hello. You lost me here. If the text in a text object can't be formatted and modified, then how can I replace one text object with another that is formatted? Thank you. Jd

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Just use multiple objects. You can stack as many objects in the same position as you want...each one with a different appearance (font, style, etc.)...and then just show one of them at a time as appropriate.

The font settings are specific to each text object...so use two text objects with different styles, and swap them. Or use three, or four, or five... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• jdanniel
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2003

I'm obviously not understanding this.

I still don't see any way to format the On Mouse Over text.

Let me explain what I'm doing, step-by-step. Maybe you can discover a missing step.

I have a button. I'm talking about one of the pre-designed buttons that come with the Blue Ice template.

I right-click on it. I select Object Properties.
          I select Actions.

In the Select an Event to Edit menu, I select On Mouse Over.

In the Available Actions list, I select Text Object, then Set Text.

Is this wrong? Am I selecting the wrong thing?

Now...to continue...

After I select Set Text, an Action Properties screen appears.

Under Settings, I select Mouseover Text.

I then type in the text. I then click OK until I'm out of the screens.

At this point in time, when I pass my mouse over the button, the text I just typed appears. But I cannot for the life of me see any place where I can format this text.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I should be doing differently, that will let me create text that I can format? If so, where do I go from here?

Thank you. Jd

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

To format the text, double-click on the text object itself, click on the Settings tab, and click the Select Font button.

NOTE: you can only select one font (and the various font settings, like bold, italic, etc.) for each text object. All of the text in the text object will have the same font family/style/etc.

In order to "change" the format of the text when you mouse over the button, you need to use more than one text object. One with the normal font settings, and one with the "mouse over" font settings. Place them both in the exact same spot, and then hide the "mouse over" text object.

Then, on the "On Mouse Over" and "On Mouse Leave" events, use "Page - Hide Object" and "Page - Show Object" actions to hide one object and show the other.

It's like this:

Text1 - normal and black
            Text2 - bolded and blue

On Mouse Over, hide Text1 and show Text2.

On Mouse Leave, hide Text2 and show Text1.

Comment

• Lorne
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Feb 2001

Note: I understood your question to be how to make the text format change when you move the mouse over the button...i.e. to switch between two different text formats.

If you just want to text to look different all the time, then just change the font settings for the text object that the Set Text action is referring to.

If you want the text to have different formatting -- only one word bolded, say, or in a different color -- then you need to split the text between more than one text object.

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Sep 2002

But I cannot for the life of me see any place where I can format this text.
                As Lorne said to change the formatting or a text object you will want to edit the properties for the Text.Object and not on the button that changes the text. All the button does is set the text in the object specified to new text.

If you want to change the format of the text object, in this case for the Blue Ice Installer it is called Mouseover Text. Open the properties for that Text Object and select the Settings tab. Below the text entry window, there is a <font color=blue>Aa</font color=blue> Select Font. . . button. This will allow you to change the font used for that object.

You will not be able to change the font using an actions list. As Lorne described more eloquently than me, if you want the font to change when you do a mouseover, you will need to use two Text Objects. This will only allow you to change the font for all of the text, not just a word or two. To do that you will need to have multiple text objects.

I would like to ask what it is you are trying to accomplish with the mouseover function? I know you want to change font and formatting, but in more detail what is it you want to do.

Tig
                TJ-Tigger
                "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
                "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
                Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• jdanniel
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2003

Tig,

Let me do some dabbling for a while. I'll follow-up sometime on Wednesday afternoon. I'm getting closer to what I want, and I want to experiment further. Thanks for replying and I'll answer your question about what I'm trying to do soon. Jd

Comment

• jdanniel
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2003

If you want the text to have different formatting -- only one word bolded, say, or in a different color -- then you need to split the text between more than one text object.
                    Yes, that's what I wanted. More specifically, I wanted only sections of text underlined or in italics. This is not possible withouth several text objects, if I understand you correctly, so I'll live without the bells and whistles. Thank you for the reply. Jd

Comment

Working...
                    X