• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alex_yeates
    Forum Member
    • May 2003

screen display for other screen resolutions

I have been using the software for some time to make instructional CDs for our end users. Our software has to be run at a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 thus I have set a page which the program jumps to on detecting the wrong screen size to tell the users what they have to do. In version 3 - no problem. But copying it across to version 4 the page is not centered. It looks as if the page is being built to 1024 x 768 and then displays the center 800 x 600 or 640 x 480 portion only and the user only sees the bottom corner of the page. Anyone have any suggestions - I can get round it by making an off center bitmap image which will display in the right place but is there a better way?
  • kpsmith
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2000

Re: screen display for other screen resolutions

In your 1024 sized project create a page that would display correctly at 640x480. So starting at the top left don't have any elements extend beyond 640x480 on your 1024x 748 canvas.

Now at launch you have AMS detect the users screen rez. If it is less than 1024 then you jump to the 640 x480 page of your AMS app and resize the AMS window to 640x480 using the Window | Move Action. Now it will fit the screen correctly since you design to that size and you resized the AMS app window.

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

Indigo Rose reccomends you create a seperate app for each resolution and use a gateway page on your main app to redirect as appropriate for best results.

Corey Milner
      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• kpsmith
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2000

I used to do that but the load time is much longer and maintaining three seperate projects is burdensome.

I switched to this mehtod and it has made my life oh so much easier and load time much faster.

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

Actually it's the opposite, load times decrease as you split up your content because each project becomes smaller, which is part of the rationale behind our reccomendation.

Corey Milner
          Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• kpsmith
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2000

Corey, You are probably right.

My project is only two pages with 6 web objects total so for me it actually was quicker using the single .exe approach.

Hadn't thought about how load time might be impacted for a large project. But I can definately understand the logic of it being quicker by breaking it into seperate resolution specific .exe's for bigger projects.

So, In that case I yield to the experts...Breaking it into 3 .exes would probably be the way to go.

For example an Autorun.exe to detect the resolution and display any warning dialogues for 640x480 OR this would launch a 800.exe for 800x600 users OR a 1024.exe for 1024x768 and higher users

Comment

Working...
            X