Are Multiple Menus or Submenus Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdanniel
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2003

Are Multiple Menus or Submenus Possible?

Hi, everyone.

I came up with the idea of having a button that displays a new menu, or a submenu, when you click it...but I do not know if this is possible.

I don't want to inundate users with too many menus. However, what I'd like to do, if possible, is to have one button that displays a new menu of freeware, one button that displays a list of Power Point slide shows, one button that displays a list of PDF files, etc.

If there is a way to display new menus via a button/mouse click, I'd also like a button on each menu that returns to the MAIN menu.

Now...if such an idea (multiple menus) is not possible--or practical--then my alternative idea is to put clickable links in the text box on the right hand side of the menu.

I'd create the text via On Mouse Over/Text Object-Set Text, which I believe would display the clickable links. The problem I foresee with this, though, is that I'd have to duplicate the text for the On Mouse Leave option, so the text will remain there after the mouse leaves the button.

Yeah, I know...probably too cumbersome for my own good, but at least I'm trying to be creative.

Anyway, what's the best route to take for this idea? Thank you for your assistance. Jack D.

• Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: Are Multiple Menus or Submenus Possible?

All of that is possible. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

By "a new menu," do you mean another page with clickable buttons on it? (That's the usual way to do it: just use multiple pages, one for each "menu.")

Or do you mean other AutoPlay menus, that you launch when a button is clicked, or whatever? (That's another way to do it...using a completely different project for each menu, and running each AutoPlay "sub-menu" application from the main one. This lets you make each menu have a different window size and shape, if you want, but the sub-menus may open a bit more slowly, and it's also a bit trickier to do, because you're working with multiple projects.)
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• jdanniel
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2003

Hi Lorne, thanks for replying.

By "a new menu," do you mean another page with clickable buttons on it? (That's the usual way to do it: just use multiple pages, one for each "menu.")

Or do you mean other AutoPlay menus, that you launch when a button is clicked, or whatever?
      Well, now that you've brought these two different options to my attention, I'm not sure now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My assumption right this moment is the first option you mentioned. It sounds like that's all I really need. Now I have to figure out how to do that.

The one thing I do not want is for more than one "menu" or "page" to appear on screen at the same time.

Let me take some time and work with this, and if I run into a snag, I hope you won't mind if I seek further assistance.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

The one thing I do not want is for more than one "menu" or "page" to appear on screen at the same time.
        In that case, you definitely want to use option 1. (You're in luck, as that's also the easiest. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Just add a page to your project for each sub-menu, and then use a "Page - Jump" action to jump to the appropriate page when the user clicks one of the buttons (which can be an image object, or a text object, or a hotspot object, or any object that has an On Mouse Click event).
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• jdanniel
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2003

Lorne,

You're right. It IS easy. Multiple pages are exactly what I want. I just finished a test project and it works great.

The more I work with the program, the more I'm picking up and understanding as I go along. It's been only two days since I first began working with it and reading the documentation, and already I have a pretty firm grasp of how I want the menu/pages designed.

Thanks again for your help. Jd

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Sep 2002

You could even fake cascading menus if you wanted.

When the user clicks on a button, you can show more buttons, and then once one of them is clicked you can rehide them. Some of the buttons if you want one more layer, you could have a mouse over action that would show additional buttons once you mouse over another button.
            TJ-Tigger
            "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
            "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
            Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

Working...
            X