• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdanniel
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2003

Display Text by Mouse Over of Image Object

Hello.

I'm new to Auto Play Media Studio, and have managed to create a menu that works, with one minor problem.

Quite simply, I cannot figure out how to display text in the text box when the mouse rolls over a button.

For example, on the left side of the menu, I have four image objects. The bottom is Exit, so forget about that. The three other buttons are labelled 1, 2, and 3. For now.

What I'd like to do, if possible, is this: Have default text in the text box on the right side of the menu, that is there until the mouse rolls over the buttons.

When you mouse over Button 1, I'd like new text to appear in the text box screen. The default text should reappear when you remove the mouse from Button 1.

New text should then appear for Button 2 when you mouse over that button, etc.

Is this possible? If so, what's the procedure for assigning text to the mouse over action for an image object? Right now, this is the one thing that has me stumped. It's probably so easy, it's right under my nose.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

J. Danniel
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: Display Text by Mouse Over of Image Object

What I'd like to do, if possible, is this: Have default text in the text box on the right side of the menu, that is there until the mouse rolls over the buttons.

When you mouse over Button 1, I'd like new text to appear in the text box screen. The default text should reappear when you remove the mouse from Button 1.
    Okay, first things first: enter the default text in the text box, so it will start out with that text in it.

Now, for the mouse over text on each button: double-click on the object (image objects, I'm guessing) and click on the Actions tab. Select the "On Mouse Over" event from the drop-down list at the top. I'm not sure if you're using a Text Object or a Text Box Object for the text, so either add a "Text Object - Set Text" action, or a "Text Box Object - Set Text" action...whichever one is appropriate for the kind of object you used. Anyway, use this action to set the text to whatever you want while the mouse is over the object.

Next, select the "On Mouse Leave" event, and add another action there to set the text back to the default text.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• jdanniel
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2003

Lorne,

Thank you for the reply, which helped.
      But I'm encountering one more snag, and if this one can be solved, we'll be done.

Next, select the "On Mouse Leave" event, and add another action there to set the text back to the default text.
      I created some Default text, and named the action "Default."

The default text is simply this:
      "This is default text."

I'm using this purely as a placeholder for the time being.

Now, when I go into an image object's properties, to set the On Mouse Leave settings, I see the following:

TextObject[Default].SetText ("")

I double-click this action, and there is no text there.
      Shouldn't I see "This is default text" there? Do I have to type in the default text for each On Mouse Leave action?

How do I select this action to plug into all of the On Mouse Leave properties for all of the image objects?

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks again. Jd

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

You have to actually type the text into the action. In other words, tell the action what you want it to set the text to.

Putting the text that is already in the object in the action by default wouldn't make much sense, since the point of the action is normally to change that text to something else.

Each image object will need its own actions...one for each of the On Mouse Over and On Mouse Leave events.
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
        X