• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruciori
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2003

getting file from ftp

Is it possible? I mean download file from ftp in silent mode and store it in %Temp%? Tried to set it up with Internet/Download File & 21 for port - doesn't seem to work. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Web only? Need to set up my menu so on button press it could SILENTLY get a small (300 bytes) file from ftp to set info from it as a value for a variable. Or is it possible to make a script, so it get just that file date from ftp (where that file is stored)? Too much questions? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
  • ovm
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Oct 2002

Re: getting file from ftp

Well, I don't think this will be possible. All the virus-creating people would love this feature :-)
    Why not place the small file on the CD?
    Does the variable change from time to time?

programming is very easy, just put the characters in the right order....

Comment

• bruciori
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2003

Well... I see it's about time to explain my situation. I got a customer who wants "Check for Update" feature in menu. Every CD will contain a %text file% defining version of program to be installed written on the same CD. Like that: program to be installed + text file defining it's version. Or autorun will just get a file version via file properties - anyhow. It sets version info from file as variable and then if user wants to check for updated version autorun should get a new file version from file via ftp to see if remote file is newer. Then it will ask if user wants to download and install an updated version of program. Yeah, I told my customer to move all files to web, but... You know, customer is always right... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

PS Why silent? - you ask... I don't wanna break %professionally designed% application by those boring windows dialogs "Are you sure? Yes/No". I don't want autorun user to be asked "if he's sure". Also I don't need that user to ask for help if he need to answer "Yes" or "No".

Comment

• Derek
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • May 2001

I don't wanna break %professionally designed% application by those boring windows dialogs "Are you sure? Yes/No".
        The thing is, 'professionally designed applications' all have those 'boring windows dialogs' because they are professional about it and always think of the end-user. The idea is for the end-user to have trust in your application and not try to 'hide' whats going on. As soon as an end-user thinks he/she is being deceived, thats the end of the application for them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        Personally, I would recommend not hiding things from the end-user and 'come clean' about it. Just my 2cents.
        -
        = Derek
        ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• bruciori
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2003

Well said, Derek... But not much help of your two cents for me or my customer. Question in generally was about getting files using ftp protocol... As silent as possible, so user doesn't call support when he got that stupid "are you sure?" on screen.

About trust/untrust - trust me, user WILL trust the app my autorun is for. There is category of people who trust that category of apps. All I need is - to make those people to be able to update that app via my autorun menu. So user who purchased that app could get full service without knowing if he's sure or not. Stick to me, he IS sure. If he was not - why the **** he would spent money? He'd buy something else to make him guess if he's sure or not and all those riddles.

Then again about "hide whats going on" - there will be alot of hints with intuitive icons in menu (that why I mentioned %professionally designed%), so even an idiot could understand wht he's about to do. If he's able to read hints that far.

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

bruciori please learn to be more polite. When you ask for help it is often more beneficial to you if you can state your case clearly without adding any rhetoric. Best of luck...

Corey Milner
            Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• bruciori
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2003

What? Me posting rude? I didn't mean to hurt or offend anyone! Pfff... Rude... Is that the way you Corey having fun in here? I asked a very simple and clear question. Answers were mostly useless. And now you call me rude? What's the deal? Should I post more smiles? Ok then [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

bruciori if there's something you cannot figure out on your own then feel free to ask for help here, if you don't like the answers then simply ignore them, you have no need to post your rhetoric about how they were useless, how you think I'm having fun, etc.

Again I politely ask that you please learn to be more polite in our forum. Thanks for your co-operation...

Corey Milner

Comment

• bruciori
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2003

Corey, I'd say you current behaviour is provocative [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, thanks for reply. I'll do my best. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

Thank you, that's all we ask.

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                    X