File properties - location changes incorrectly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JXBURNS
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2001

File properties - location changes incorrectly.

This is the same bug as was reported in SUF7.x and still present in SUF8.x

Rgds John
  • Mark
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jun 2000

Hi JXBURNS,

Thanks for the post. We took a look at this during the development of Setup Factory 8.0 and at the end of the day decided to leave it the way it is. The reason for this is that we thought that in most of the time when you browse for a new location for a file you generally want the destination to be updated.

i.e. If, instead of using a local copy, you decided to using the copy of a DLL from the system folder you would want the destination to update to the system directory.

Or if you moved the location of a file from the "Data" folder to the "Docs" folder in your application folder and wanted to re-browse for it, you would want the destination to update to "%AppFolder%\Docs" instead of remaining "%AppFolder%\Data".

Hopefully this explains the decision that we made with this feature. Please rest assured that we did look into your post (and fixed the second bug) and that we still have your suggestion in our database for future consideration.

Thanks.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

• JXBURNS
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2001

Mark,

Thanks. I can see your point.

In my case, most of the time, the only reason I browse for a particular file/folder is because I moved the source to another folder or network drive. In 99% of the cases I want the destination to stay where it is as that is on a remote site which does not change. Also the vast majority of my destination folders are handled by Session Variables outside the usual Windows places for that very reason so I only have to change the actual destination folder in one place. But because it changes to %AppFolder% really does cause a pain as several times I have distributed a simple change to find the destination has changed without my realising. OK I realise should test but when just one file source changing....

Perhaps a straw (vBulletin) poll amongst users may influence any future decision?

Rgds John

Comment

• Mark
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jun 2000

Hi JXBURNS,

Sure, if you want feel free to arrange a poll here on the forums. The results may sway our decisions.

The probable course in the future would be to perhaps add a preference. So that for those people who like the current functionality they can keep it. And for people like you they could turn that feature off.

I cannot promise that anything will be done in the near future but we will look at it again.
        MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Working...
        X