• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antonio borraccino
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2007

Prevent CDs from being duplicated

After many months of burning the midnight candle to complete a project I'd like to share with fellow developers the sense of relief I have now that the project is completed and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. If you are under the pressure like I've been you wouldn't be reading this but I'll say it all the same... hang in there, it is worth it in the end.

However, it is not over yet. This client is insisting on protecting not just the content of the CD but the whole CD from being copied. I've done my homework and searched for Digital Rights Management. I'm overwhelmed with the number of sites (mostly to do with removing DRM) and I'm wondering whether this is a problem that some of you have solved already.

Antonio
  • RizlaUK
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2006

Hi Antonio, i have the same going on here, the client wants the cd rom protected, after many hours reseach i finaly decided to settle with the StarForce system, it seems to offer every thing the client wants.

i havent tested this system yet, but i have seen the starforce system in action in some games i own so it is a main streme protection system, also i have not priced the system yet but at face value it seems to be pretty reasonable.

I'd like to share with fellow developers the sense of relief I have now that the project is completed and I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
    oh yeah, i know that feeling, the last app i made for a client took 5 months to compleat this one will take about 7/8 months (with also doing my day job), its a great feeling to write the last few lines of code.
    Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

• brisk
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2008

i dont know much about trying to
      protect a cd / dvd from being copied...

but i do know that there are a number
      of programs that can bypass almost
      any type of cd dvd protection as i
      always make and use backups
      of every game or software cd dvd i buy

Program; BlindWrite....

so it must be a huge task to actually
      protect a cd dvd.........

so good luck on your project mate......

Comment

• RizlaUK
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • May 2006

no protection system is 100%

bypassing the protection on ANY disk is illeagl weather you own it or not, consumers have the right to backup there investment by copying a disk but software devlopers take away that right by protecting the disk in the first place, its a very thin line

and its not my concern if the disk gets copyed, the fact remain that its illeagle to copy a protected disk and this is enough to pursue a prosecution in the event of one of my clients employes copy the disk this gives the employer enough powers to sue under the copyright protection act, thats the main aim anyway.

so its a fact, its not 100% but it dose provide some leagle protection for the software devloper/vendor

EDIT: im not to clued up on the actual laws, my information comes from what iv been told!
        Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

Working...
        X