• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WallyWonka
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2007

File.Run and Args

I want create a button that will launch InstallSHIELD DeInstaller. In order to do that I need to pass a command line argument to point a DeIsL5.isu file. I tried this code and it does not work:

RemovePath = Registry.GetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\ \App Paths\\MyApp.exe", "Path", true);
    if RemovePath ~= "" then
    result = File.Run("WIN95\\UNINST.exe", "-f"RemovePath.."\\DeIsL5.isu", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);, ""), "")

Something to do with the quotes in the Args section. But the quotes are needed to pass the command to UNINST.exe. So what am I doing wrong here? Thanks for any help on this, it is driving my bonkers.
  • Ulrich
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Apr 2005

Read this.

Comment

• WallyWonka
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2007

No good. That is for double quotes in a dialog text string. That doesn't work for Args. Can you post an example? I tried this:

RemovePath = Registry.GetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\ \App Paths\\MyApp.exe", "Path", true);
      if RemovePath ~= "" then
      File.Run("WIN95\\UNINST.exe", "-f\"RemovePath.."\\DeIsL5.isu\"", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);, ""), "")

Comment

• mwreyf1
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Aug 2004

File.Run("WIN95\\UNINST.exe", "-f\ \"RemovePath..\"\\DeIsL5.isu", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);

Comment

• WallyWonka
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2007

that method will work if you place an absolute path in the Args section, but for some reason the Args section doesn't pick up on the previous ResultVariable. It is reading this: "-f\ \"RemovePath..\", but stops there. It is not picking up the: DeIsL5.isu" part. I think because it is reading the quote after RemovePath..\" and thinking that it ends there. I'm not sure why this isn't working, VERY frustrating.

Comment

• RizlaUK
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • May 2006

thats because hes closeing the string there

try this
            Code:
            File.Run("WIN95\\UNINST.exe", "-f\ \""..RemovePath.."\\DeIsL5.isu\"", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);
            Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

• WallyWonka
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2007

Brilliant! That last one worked! I never thought I'd get it. Thank you! I am sure I will have more questions about other things, but thank you for helping me on this one.

Comment

Working...
              X