Limit amount of text in an input object - can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrdude
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2004

Limit amount of text in an input object - can it be done?

Hi is there any way to limit the amount of text someone can enter into an input object to a specific amounnt of characters?

For example say I had an object and I only wanted a user to put a maximum of 160 letters or numbers in that object then a message would pop up saying that they have exceeded that limit - would that be possible?

I know I can strip letters from an object left or right - but limiting the amount in the first place is another story?
  • imhotep
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by mrdude View Post
    Hi is there any way to limit the amount of text someone can enter into an input object to a specific amounnt of characters?

For example say I had an object and I only wanted a user to put a maximum of 160 letters or numbers in that object then a message would pop up saying that they have exceeded that limit - would that be possible?

I know I can strip letters from an object left or right - but limiting the amount in the first place is another story?

yes in input settings choose inputmask see help file

Comment

• holtgrewe
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mrdude View Post

I think there is a post with better code than this but here's one way. (example limits 5 characters), placed in the On Key event of the input object.

Code:
      txt = Input.GetText("Input1")
      if String.Length(txt) > 5 then
      	Dialog.Message("", "input > 5")
      	Input.SetText("Input1", String.Left(txt,5))
      end

Comment

• mrdude
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2004

Thanks guys, I will give that a go. Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X