• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clueless
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2006

File pointer tables

Hi, here's the problem : I'm making an app that splits an avi animation into bmp frames for editing. The filenames are numerical 001.bmp,002.bmp,003.bmp etc.. so they can be read into a frames list (table) and then displayed onscreen.

If i want to insert another Avi (split into bmp's) into the first one all the frames after the insert point have to be renamed which can take quite a few seconds if there are a few 100 frames or more. The only way i can think of to speed the process up would be to link a list of real file name / locations to a list of frame names and then just rename the frame names , not the files. But i cant work out how to do this in ams.

In most languages id make a 'struct' or a table containing more than one variable but i don't think either can be done in AMS. Ive tried a few ways to do it but they seem to present more problems than they solve.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to tackle this problem?
  • RizlaUK
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2006

the only thing i can think of right now it to maybe have a file that ties all the images togeather, say a ini file or sqlite database, then you have your filename and its index in sequence of images......just a tought....but it is late
    Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

• clueless
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2006

.. no probs Ive had a rethink this morning and realised this isnt as complicated as i first thought. If i use the files position in the table to generate the frame number then i have the location linked with its frame numb. Also i dont have to worry about renaming the files in the list when a new lot is inserted as a table updates itself.
      The trick is to give the split frames a numerical filename but with a random prefix for the batch. That way the files are read in in the right order and can be safley coppied to the dir with the rest of the frames without having to worry about overwriting existing ones.
      .. not sure if that made sense.lol
      Last edited by clueless; 04-12-2008, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X