• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowUK
    No longer a forum member
    • Oct 2007

ExeBB

I was thinking, looking at some forum software like vBulletin, phpBB, myBB, SMF and Invision Power Board, It hit me that all of them require PHP and a webserver and for vBulletin and Invision Power Board, a license.

Then it hit me, Why not use the power of AutoPlay Media Studio to create an EXE forum that gets data from a single SQL database maybe?

here's how it can go.
    • ??? - Someone who can build the database
    • ??? - Links the Database to the program and User Registration + Login
    • ShadowUK - Graphics, MySQL Database Hosting, Publisher
    • ??? - Reply, Quote Features
    • ??? - Moderation Features and User Titles

With AMS 7.0 we can use the SQLite plugin to do this, Anyone willing to help me with this project, contact me on one of the following options.

Concept Art:

PS: I'm doing a little more than it says here, I'm the project leader and I'm determined to get this on the road and if we're lucky and we get a team we can get this project finished.
    Last edited by ShadowUK; 04-10-2008, 02:32 AM.
  • Teqskater
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2007

can do it all

First of all i want to say its all possible and ive done this very simply. now im creating an online multiplayer game and it uses the login and account management system that ive build earlier for my first simple forum. i think i might recreate that forum someday and then ill release the source code of it.
    if you start with it. please pm me and i will help you with developing. :yes :lol

Edit: just read the second part of the post of you and im in to develop it with you. please pm me if you are interested

I'm the project leader
    I hate it when somebody says that

SQLlite? uhhmmm nope. use MySQL. With SqlLite you cqnt achive this
    Last edited by Teqskater; 04-10-2008, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• ShadowUK
      No longer a forum member
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Teqskater View Post
      First of all i want to say its all possible and ive done this very simply. now im creating an online multiplayer game and it uses the login and account management system that ive build earlier for my first simple forum. i think i might recreate that forum someday and then ill release the source code of it.
      if you start with it. please pm me and i will help you with developing. :yes :lol

Edit: just read the second part of the post of you and im in to develop it with you. please pm me if you are interested

I hate it when somebody says that

I know that i have to use MySQL instead of SQLite, my bad. Bit tired atm, anyway I'm 'leading' the project because I link everything together, for example I have to send the project files to members and keep everything in order and do work myself when noone else is online or they're all busy doing things for it i'll be working on artwork and coding, etc.

Comment

• Imagine Programming
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ShadowUK View Post
        anyway I'm 'leading' the project because I link everything together, for example I have to send the project files to members and keep everything in order and do work myself when noone else is online or they're all busy doing things for it i'll be working on artwork and coding, etc.
        Why hating it when somebody sais that he's the leader? what if its true? hehe
        Bas Groothedde
        Imagine Programming :: Blog

AMS8 Plugins
        IMXLH Compiler

Comment

• FoxLeader
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2006

Well, I'm way to busy ATM (I'm working on a JavaScript + XHTML + PHP and other languages Web OS, and I have studies^^) but I totally support you. It's a nice and interesting idea so even if I can't work on this with you, I'll be avaible for some testing if needed.

Comment

• RizlaUK
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • May 2006

Intresting project idea, but i dont really have the time to donate to this project right now, altho i'll give whatever support i can :yes

c'mon, think "out of the box", if coding a custom server to host the BB it can run on whatever database system you want, even a ini file system, csv or whatever you want

IMO it isent a ExeBB if it needs external server support, if its just running of a sql server like any other BB i ask...... whats the point ?

IMO a ExeBB that is self contained and hosts its own files is a worthwhile project, perfect for clans and other closed communities, and its not to much work to code a custom server for this kind of thing.

just my 2 pence
            Last edited by RizlaUK; 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM.
            Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

• sim
              No longer a forum member
              • Nov 2009

U know this project should be restarted lol :P

God when we talked about these projects i never thought they would take a impact like this, shadow get online all the time again lol we came up with some made ideas and then you made me cry making them real lol.

I still have my first try at something like this. I remeber you showing me this and just stoping lol.

Well i hope to see this alive again good luck with it and i think your new lua option might help you here also

Comment

• iconiK
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2009

It is not a good idea. What's so hard to install PHP, or shell out $9 a month for a host? It's not that expensive. You want to implement a web server in AMS, but you forget that you are stretching AMS too much - it can not ever match the performance of even lighthttpd, since it has a lot of overhead. Lua's interpreter is **** slow, it won't be able to handle more than 30-40 concurrent users.

Comment

• ShadowUK
                  No longer a forum member
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by iconiK View Post
                  It is not a good idea. What's so hard to install PHP, or shell out $9 a month for a host? It's not that expensive. You want to implement a web server in AMS, but you forget that you are stretching AMS too much - it can not ever match the performance of even lighthttpd, since it has a lot of overhead. Lua's interpreter is **** slow, it won't be able to handle more than 30-40 concurrent users.
                  Where did I say I was implementing a web server in AMS..?

This is a good idea in theory but even I know it won't really work without a lot of effort especially because the intention of the project was not to have to use PHP/MySQL.
                  Last edited by ShadowUK; 01-13-2010, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• LucasTheDuck
                    No longer a forum member
                    • Oct 2009

you don't need a webserver... you only need genrate a pages and show in any navigator object, whn I finish Cef project you can done directly on it, but now you can store page skeltons and functions to complete them, and show it in web object.

For desktop apps i think that could be great change the forum functions for real-time talking and tools to share easily files and other things that could be very hard on website

Comment

• DaSoulRed
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2007

This Trhead points to Real Time Chat Forum

This Trhead points to Real Time Chat Forum...

Hope it will be open for not VIP users, and not just only for VIP ones...

Just a way to see it... :yes

Comment

• ShadowUK
                        No longer a forum member
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DaSoulRed View Post
                        This Trhead points to Real Time Chat Forum...

Hope it will be open for not VIP users, and not just only for VIP ones...

Just a way to see it... :yes
                        Hah, it'll be open to everyone. No elitism.

Comment

• Imagine Programming
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ShadowUK View Post
                          Hah, it'll be open to everyone. No elitism.
                          Amen, thanks.
                          Bas Groothedde
                          Imagine Programming :: Blog

AMS8 Plugins
                          IMXLH Compiler

Comment

Working...
                          X