• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWF
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2003

New User Question

I am helping a user at the office with a project. What he has built is a control panel that allows you to launch (4) printer monitoring programs. We have placed each program in its own folder in the distribution folder. If you launch the .exe program from the distribution/program folder it runs fine.
    Once we point Auto-Play to the .exe file and build the project only (2) of the programs run, the other (2) say that a .dat file is missing. If we look in the distribution/programs folder the .dat file is there. We are using the File/Open command in Auto-Play and pointing it to the .exe file. Do I need to use another command?
    It may be a limitation of the programs that we are using.
    This is the first time that I have used this program so I may be missing a very basic step somewhere.

Thank You
  • eric_darling
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2002

Re: New User Question

Try using file.execute instead of file.open. That would be the typical method of launching an executable contained on the distribution CD. It may not solve your problem, however.
    Eric Darling
    eThree Media
    http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

Hi, OK file open or file execute should both work, I think the main thing which may help is if you set the "Working Directory" in the properties dialog of whichever action you choose to use to match your file's directory.

OK so for example let's say I have a folder named "myApp" in my distribution folder and inside that is the .exe I want to run PLUS all of it's supporting .dats, etc. I would use a FILE > EXECUTE or FILE > OPEN action to run the .exe itself and when setting the action I would type %SrcDir%\myApp into the "working directory" field.

I suspect this will solve your hassle...

Corey Milner
      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• SWF
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2003

Thanks for tips I will try that in the morning.
        This is the first time that I have seen this program & it seems very powerful and easy to use.
        Thanks

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

Actually those are my two favorite adjectives for AMS, powerful and easy to use. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Glad to hear you're having fun with it...

Corey Milner

Comment

• SWF
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2003

Corey
            That works thanks.
            If you have time can you explain the difference between "File to Open" and "Working Directory"
            Thanks Again Very Much

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

File to open is your .exe, working directory is the directory in which your .exe's supporting files reside.

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
              X