Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crash_Davenport

Set the volume of WM Player 9?

I have a video on a page and when it plays I notice that AMS sets the volume of WM Player 9 to 50%.

Is there a way to set volume to 100% so it matches all other voiceovers in the presentation?

Thank You
    Crash D.
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Set the volume of WM Player 9?

My very strongest advice is never, ever, ever, ever turn someone's volume up to 100% without asking them first. At my house for example you would probably blow my Energy monitor speakers because I control volume with my Creek power amp, not my computer's volume slider (which stays at about 30% or so most of the time)... Not good practice by any means.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Crash_Davenport

Thank You Corey!

This is for a kiosk and the master volume slider is set to 75%.
      Turning up media player to 100% will get the max of the master volume.

Crash D

Comment

• Crash_Davenport

I should have been clearer on what I'm trying to do. :P
        I would like to set the volume of WM Player 9 to 100% and NOT effect the "master volume"

Is this possible in AMP?

Thx
        Crash D.

P.s. Worm....that is a cool .dll you have made...nice work!!!

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

No there's no native volume control actions. The standard practice as you can see from the many media player style downloads out there on the internet is to simply include the controls with the player so that the user can decide where they want the volume. i.e. when you watch a quicktime movie on the macromedia web site it doesn't arbitrarily crank your volume to 100% or if you watch a real video feed on CSPAN it doesn't arbitrarily crank your volume to 100%, etc. (both of which are very, very easy things to do if the developer had wished to do so)

I think you're missing the gravity of the issue vis-a-vis turning someone's player or system volume up to 100%. That is perhaps one of the worst possible things you can do unless of course your intention is to scare your user or damage their equipment. Typically computer users do not operate their sound card or player volume at 100%, that means you will be increasing their volume and as you can see from the many, many downloads out their on the internet, this is not something designers and developers typically do as a matter of good practice.

Corey Milner

Comment

• eric_darling
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2002

Actually, Corey, the default volume setting in a QuickTime movie is 100%, just FYI. That is to say, whatever your audio level was when you created your QT file, that's how it will play as 100% of the original level. If the Macromedia QT file seemed less than full volume to you, it was because they either rigged the control in the player to play quieter or it was a quiet file to begin with.

If a user wants to reduce volume, he/she has the opportunity to use the built-in player slider control, or control their audio via their global system volume control. Either way, if you have your global audio cranked too high, that's your fault, not the developer's.

If you're not adjusting the global volume levels, you're not breakin' any rules as far as I can tell.

Another interesting tidbit that's off-topic... If you hold down shift of ctrl (depends on QT version), you can crank your audio beyond "10," much like Spinal Tap's famed "11." There's a software preamp inside QT that very few people have been able to get at with their software.
            Eric Darling
            eThree Media
            http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

I'm talking about system volume, Quicktime does not alter my system volume nor my soundcard (.wav) volume at all...

Corey Milner

Comment

• rhosk
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Aug 2003

Hello, brand new here and the software is great. Had to jump and comment on the original post. I see Crash D's point. In AMP, I see no way to adjust the volume for Windows Media Player. I would like to know this as well. I think what he's trying to say is, the default volume is set to 50%, If the media player was embedded in a web page, there are, among many others parameters, to adjust the volume at play (this has nothing to do with the computer's system volume at all; this cannot be controlled).

Is there something in the actions that will tell Media Player to set volume at 100%? You have the basic controls that come with WMP, but can you set additional parameters? Thanks.
                Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Corey
                  Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                  • Aug 2002

Umm, actually system volume can be very easily controlled through the browser, i.e. using VB. Plenty examples of that on Google...

Corey Milner

Comment

• rhosk
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Aug 2003

Mr Milner, this is not a question of "system volume", and yes, it can be (in my opinion, maliciously controlled; with VB almost anything's possible) controlled with advanced techniques. I was trying to keep things simple. The original question is: Is there a way to basically control Windows Media Player volume in AMP? If not, can the feature possibly be added in a future release with your basic parameter settings? This (the way I understood the question) is my question as well. Everyone's stuck on the users master volume when if the user has his/her volume set at say, 60% on their computer, setting any media player to 100% does just that, sets the player at 100, not the computer volume (remains at 60). Thanks.
                    Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Lorne
                      Indigo Rose Staff Member
                      • Feb 2001

Although it isn't possible to control the media player volume in 4.0, this is definitely something we will try to resolve in a future version of AutoPlay. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Corey
                        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                        • Aug 2002

Hi, I was merely addressing the quote

this has nothing to do with the computer's system volume at all; this cannot be controlled
                        As I thought you might enjoy knowing that it is indeed possible and/or easy to control, that's all...

Corey Milner

Comment

• rhosk
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Aug 2003

Touché [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                          Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment