• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avsfilms
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2007

Custom File

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to this software but am good enough at it to develop my own program (which is not very hard to do because this software is great!) but what I am trying to accomplish is this:

Create a file type (preferably a file with a .wkp extension)
    Have it so that when it is clicked on, anywhere in Explorer, it will open up my program file.

--Some background info: I am currently using like 12 different txt files that each hold a different amount of information to run a program. Can I just write all these txt files, using the "Write From String" command, to different lines and then save the text file as .wkp and then tell my other program to read specific lines from the file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

What you want to do is set up a file association for that file extension. (It would also be a good a idea to search for .wkp to see if any other programs out there also use that extension.)

File associations tell Windows what actions can be performed on different types of files, what programs should be used to carry out each of those actions, and the paths to where those programs can be found.

Each file association associates a specific file extension with a command to use a program to do something to that file. For example, a file association can tell Windows that when files ending with .doc are double-clicked, they should be opened with Microsoft Word.

The program that is associated with a file extension is known as the default viewer for that type of file. For instance, Notepad is the default viewer for .txt files when Windows is installed.

File associations are stored in the Registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• avsfilms
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2007

Thanks for the reply. I looked in the Registry Editor in my computer and found all the file extensions under the classes_root "section" (if that's what you want to call it). I noticed some of them can expand to show the "persistent handler" which data includes something like
      Code:
      {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}
      . How do I tell it to open my application based on the path of it?

Also, what do I have to do to have an AMS7 application write data to multiple lines of a text file? How about reading it back in?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Comment

• Mina
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2005

If only you took the time to search the forums..

http://www.indigorose.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17380

Comment

• avsfilms
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mina View Post
          If only you took the time to search the forums..

http://www.indigorose.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17380
          I apologize, I did at least 10 different searches and it did not turn up any of the results I wanted. But thank you anyway for the link, it is very much appreciated.

As always, I appreciate the hard work you guys do to provide excellent support :yes
          Last edited by avsfilms; 01-09-2008, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X