• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xtreme
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2003

Give me resons to use APM before Director

Please give me resons to use "AutoPlay Media Studio" before "Macromedia Director" [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Give me resons to use APM before Director

AMS is more affordable, much easier to learn, much easier to use, has better support, and creates highly functional, custom professional Windows software with just a few clicks... Also if you look at our latest AMS version new features in comparison to Director's latest version new features, you will quickly realize that Indigo Rose is much more progressive than Macromedia and far superior in terms of listening to what our users want, and then providing it. From what I hear the Director community is outraged at the latest version upgrade, some people are calling it the "biggest ripoff ever". Do a search at Google if you're interested in what some of the top Director experts are saying about Macromedia's latest version offering, you'll see...

Macromedia is a great company, but it has only one purpose for existence, constantly increasing profits. They are a public corporation. Indigo Rose is not, we actually care about you guys. If you aren't happy, we aren't happy. We work hard to make sure you get full value for your dollar when you buy our stuff, and as you can see by our prices, we're no where near where Director is in terms of net profit per unit. Software is expensive to make, no less so for us than Macromedia, but we still make sure that you guys get 100% value for your dollar.

Director is powerful but it is expensive, very hard to learn, hard to use, and nowhere near as economical in terms of time required to create end software as AMS.

Want to see what I mean, download the trial version of both products and then build a custom web browser with "outside of browser" flash navigation menu in each app. That'll take you a few minutes in AMS or a couple hours in Director. Same end result, but working in Director will make you pull the hair out of your head whereas AMS is fun, quick, and easy to use...

As a matter of fact you'll notice that in AMS it's very simple to make any of the object types speak to any of the other object types, i.e. control a browser with Flash or control your video with tetx links, etc. whereas in Director that will take you ages to master. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hope that helps...

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• eric_darling
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2002

I hope more folks beyond just the IR staffers take up your challenge. I am not, nor have I ever been on the IR payroll. But I love their software and support!

Multimedia software is some of the most complex software you can buy, no matter who makes it. It's just that IR's got it right. The software is easy to learn, and nearly impossible to master. For me, that's a winning combination. It means that I can start building cool stuff straight away, and then grow into the more advanced features (like variables and registry editing) over time. Even as I have grown into those more advanced features, I have realized how much more easily acquired those skills are with AMS than with Director. There are quite a few Director converts around here, so just ask them.

What's even more appealing to me, however, is the support that IR provides through these forums and otherwise. I simply cannot state enough how fabulous the support is around here. I try to pitch in when I can, and many others do too. But it just wouldn't be possible without the never-ending attention to customers that IR has proven they have.

So, in the end is Director more powerful? I don't know. It'll take you a long time to find out, though, and many successful and creative projects will be completed first. You have got to factor in the support - it's simply amazing around here. Free, fast and absolutely spot-on 99% of the time. Macromedia doesn't know the definition of the word in comparison.

Now, I will add one caveat... Director can (with some trouble and the purchase of another platform version) produce cross-platform (Mac and Windows) projects. If you need your multimedia project to run cross-platform, you had best consider Director.
      Eric Darling
      eThree Media
      http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• yoni
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2003

I've never used Director before, so I can't comment on that program specifically. But I will third the notion that there is no faster or better customer support than here at IR. Be it an IR employee or just another user through these forums, they go out of their way to not only help out with program specific questions bu also help with programs like flash or php scripts taht other support peoples would tell you don't fall under the areas they can help in.

Top notch service and listening to their customers is one of the best reasons to use AMS

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Sep 2002

I have not used Directory, but I have tried to learn some Macromedia products. I cannot image trying to do what I do in AMS with a Macromedia product, even though it could be done. I am an Instructor and not a programmer, but I have learned a lot of what I can do with AMS in a short while. There is a learning curve, like with all products, but AMS is very short when compared to the Macromedia products I have tried to learn, and am still having problems with . . . [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

AMS 4 is an Excellent product, backed by an Great company with fabulous people. I have not seen a forum for any other product I use that meets the expertise and helpfulness that I see here in the forums. When new people post questions, they are usually amazed at how quickly they get a response. There was one recently where the question was answered within minutes and at the same time, the person figured out how to do it on their own. Very intuitave and powerful product.

The great thing about AMS 4 is that you can keep it simple or make your project very elaborate. With the help of IndigoRose and it's customers anything is possible.

All I can say is download the trial and give it a whirl, you wont be disappointed . . .
          TJ-Tigger
          "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
          "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
          Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• Bruce
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2001

Hey Etreme-
            I do use Director and have the last six years. The guys here are probably laughing at me now because I hate learning new programming. I have to learn by kicking and screaming the whole way! (Just ask Corey [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]) the point is, the gentlemen above are right, the support is unparalleled! I have simply moved away from Dir. over the last year to where I use AMS exclusively. True Dir. has a timeline (good for animation) and the ability to do transitions, not to mention being able to go cross platform (Remember you’ll need a Mac and its own ver. of Dir.).
            Animation and transitions can now be done in AMS with the help of Flash but as Corey mentioned above, the good folks at IndegoRose are always on the cutting edge of what WE want, so needless to say those goodies will be supported very soon.

Good luck!

Comment

• yosik
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jun 2002

Comment

• yosik
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Jun 2002

I"ll add my 2c worth.
                Have been working in multimedia authoring for a few years now. Worked mostly with Scala InfoChannel, but they moved away from the multimedia scene. I tried Director which is versatile but has a STEEP learning curve. Actually you need to go into programming in order to get some basic things done. Cross platform and transitions are a plus which AMS lacks, plus some graphic properties like guides, grid, proportional rescaling of images etc... had to be integrated long ago in AMS, it's true and I hope you guys at AMS will address this issue.
                I concur about the tremendous support of the forum. A rare thing (good things are rare...)
                All in all, I would definitly recommand AMS as an authoring tool for multimedia. We have adopted AMS as our main trainning tool in our college and I am convinced we made the right choicce.
                Good luck to you
                Yossi

Comment

• John-oh
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jun 2000

Hi,

When your back is against a wall with a tight deadline coming up, and you are stuck on how to get a partiular feature to work, then this forum nearly justifies the cost alone, after that, the software is almost free ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Comment

• Scally
                    Forum Member
                    • Dec 2002

Hi,
                    I've used Authorware & Director in the past and they are capable of great things BUT you'll need to spend a lifetime learning how to do stuff. IMO they're just not as intuitive as AMS. Its been made clear above & I can only stress that you wont find better support for anything anywhere. Searching the forums you will come up with solutions for most problems and if you dont, the IR guys & the other members will usually help you solve stuff.
                    Try both evaluation packages for yourself & if you choose Director, there's a lot of pple round here would like to know why.
                    Regards
                    Scally

Comment

• Corey
                      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                      • Aug 2002

Just a note. The reason the support for our products is truly superior is two fold:

1. We have the best user base I've ever seen, really bright people who put an unbelievable amount of effort into offering help to others without asking anything in return. Users just like you who have been through the trials and tribulations of the real world multimedia project industry.

2. Indigo Rose policy affords us staff the correct amount of time to be effectual in our assistance, i.e. no one on this end is constantly pressuring us to "shave things down" or "watch the bottom line", we are free to assist as needed.

I just wanted to make that clear. And, although we don't say it everyday, we appreciate our users more than you know. Thanks entirely to them, this place is what it is. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Corey Milner
                      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
                      X