• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • User1
    Forum Member
    • May 2003

Getting data from an internet text file into AMS

AMS doesn't seem to be able to read from a text file on the internet using Text File - Read, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a workaround to get the data into a variable in AMS.

I have thought of downloading the file and then reading it, but I would prefer the process to be invisible and not have the downloading dialogue displayed on screen.

I'm no real expert in flash or php, but if they could be used in a workaround then that would be fine. Thanks for any ideas.
  • User1
    Forum Member
    • May 2003

Re: Getting data from an internet text file into AMS

OK - I've got it now.

Just in case anyone's interested, I made a php file that reads the text file and displays it's contents. I then used the submit to web function with no parameters and ticked the use variable box. The body of the php file was then put into this variable and seeing as all the php file does is display the data in the text file, that's what was in it's body and hence the variable.

Comment

• eric_darling
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2002

Sounds cool! Would you mind posting it here along with some brief instructions for implementation? I betcha it's something I could use.
      Eric Darling
      eThree Media
      http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

You have an extra step in your process with the text file, why not just store the text in a .php file? That being said, you're right, the TEXT FILE > READ action should definitely be extended to include internet file access.

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
        X