• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Desolator
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2007

Pretty Dissapointed

I'm pretty disappointed by the new version. I haven't checked the trial version yet, but just looking into the web help I can see that the most useful and easier to implement features are missing.

Where are the new compression formats? LZMA is implemented into SF for WI, yet it isn't in AMS 7. There are lots of open open formats like tar, bz2, gzip, and many more, but we're still stuck to the obsolete zip format, only because it's "popular". Where is Drag & Drop support on runtime? Most applications on tons of operating systems support it, heck, you could have rewritten the code from Mozilla Firefox, or something similar, there are lots of them out there.

The checkbox & radiobutton objects seem pretty pointless when compared to nifty features like those above. They can be easily implemented with a little code. Also, the RTF object doesn't make much point either. The web object has much more potential because it's basically IE, the web browser. (X)HTML, CSS, JS and a lot more can do way more things than you can ever do in RTF. If you don't know how to code in those languages, you can easily use a free/open-source software editor, there are hundreds of them out there, not to count the thousands of proprietary ones, mostly freeware.

Also, the support for audio is very small. We don't even have full support for OGG, we can only support OGG Audio (OGA) with Vorbis, no FLAC, no video, no other nice things. It's very funny to see those integrated into free software that was designed for GNU/Linux and runs natively on Windows as well, with the required libraries freely available.

The interface is very limited as well. The only themed objects we have are the slider, win button, media player and a few other objects. We don't have themes backgrounds to be used for tool bars and other stuff, which are used by AMS but aren't made available to us. One thing that I like is the runtime resize for objects. Though that's a bit late.

I personally don't think that the RTF object, the checkbox and radiobuttons, as well as slideshows and MSI actions can outdo the features mentioned above. Basically AMS 7 isn't a major version at all, and it doesn't deserve to be called "7". Not even 6.5, maybe a 6.1 (and I haven't seen any versioning scheme like that in IR).

If you are interested, I have quit using AMS and I'm focusing on using PHP-GTK, as well as learning C++. Thanks for reading!
  • Haydeng
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2007

This is exactly how I feel (sorry). I have since been using C# and C++ the past 6-7 Months, as there is so much more power with those two, easy to learn also... and they are free (express versions)!

Comment

• Intrigued
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Dec 2003

You definitely did not hold back any punches... which can be a good thing if a company wants to stay competitive, they'll read this (as I'm sure I.R. will) and factor such a comment into their overall thinking process with concerns to AMS. That's just my opinion of course.

Because what you stated here probably is being thought by several others.

Personally, for me, I expected more in the inital release after all of the suggestions we put forth, but I at the same time I realize AMS is on different upgrade path now. Being that AMS is on a "fast track" time frame... we should see updates more often, as in not every say 18 months, but perhaps 18 weeks.

I would say hang in there with AMS. I would not be surprised if we see those "basic features" found in other general purpose programming languages, platforms implemented in AMS. And then we can start seeing some exciting inclusions that will push AMS beyond what those other platforms can achieve, or achieve such much easier for us developers.

If that fails I fire up PureBasic and finish a project with that.
      Intrigued

Comment

• FoxLeader
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2006

I agree with those opinions. But, I'm gonna wait till the next update to know if it's a good value to buy the the 7.0, since I'm as well waiting for those features.

I had a look at the various .Net platforms and I love all the resources (and sources) availbe for them, speeding up developpement. But we need the d***it .Net framework, someting that's not installed on every computer.

But AMS is still very fast and easy for most tasks, so I'll stick with 6.0 for now

Comment

• Haydeng
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2007

Foxleader, C++ can create native applications that don't require the framework. I do love Microsoft's full product documentation (And I mean FULL). Also, there are 100's of resource websites out there.... anyway, back to AMS. I Still love the product, it is what got me in to programing so don't get me wrong. After I got good enough, I moved up to a more powerful language and software.

Comment

• FoxLeader
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2006

@Haydeng: Oh... thanks for the input. I didn't know all those, as I said I just had a look at the .Net, since I love the new WPF and .Net 3.0/3.5 effects (carousel, 3D menus as exemples).

Anyway, I'm in the same position: at first I was just programming for Web, but I had some more needs and had a look in AMS, then felt in love
            But I need some more power... exactly like you, and probably the most advanced users out there.

Comment

• holtgrewe
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jul 2002

Interesting points. I suspected that someone would jump on the fact that this was a very meager offering as a FULL Release of AMS versus a point upgade.

I use AMS as a hobbiest, and I don't want to learn the alphabet soup of technologies that exist today. I want to easily be able to build multi-media applications in a drag & drop environment using a simple scripting language. That's what I have in AMS.

I started with AMS3, AMS4, then AMS6. I will be upgrading to AMS7, and have the utmost confidence that IR will continue to be the leader in rapid development/deployment for multi-media CDs and applications.

I believe the subscription based offering which IR is developing will help establish the foundation for the ongoing product quality. A company can not continually give-away free upgrades.

Comment

• Radioguy
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2006

Well I think the RTF feature is a very useful additon...but I'll wait and see what else is in the pipeline before jumping to 7. I use 6.5 daily, along with other similar progs in my toolbox when APMS isn't up to the task....which by the way is rare

Comment

• FoxLeader
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Radioguy View Post
                  but I'll wait and see what else is in the pipeline before jumping to 7. I use 6.5 daily, along with other similar progs in my toolbox when APMS isn't up to the task....which by the way is rare
                  Exactly

Comment

• yosik
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Jun 2002

As Intrigued said, the upgrade pace has been downscaled so even though 7 is a major release, it is not a stopping point till next stepping stone, but rather a start of a smooth upgoing curve.
                    Our (the users) inputs should definitely influence the trend and development path of AMS.

Yossi

Comment

• Tuberculosis
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by holtgrewe View Post
                      Interesting points. I suspected that someone would jump on the fact that this was a very meager offering as a FULL Release of AMS versus a point upgade.

I use AMS as a hobbiest, and I don't want to learn the alphabet soup of technologies that exist today. I want to easily be able to build multi-media applications in a drag & drop environment using a simple scripting language. That's what I have in AMS.

I started with AMS3, AMS4, then AMS6. I will be upgrading to AMS7, and have the utmost confidence that IR will continue to be the leader in rapid development/deployment for multi-media CDs and applications.

I believe the subscription based offering which IR is developing will help establish the foundation for the ongoing product quality. A company can not continually give-away free upgrades.
                      Sometimes I wonder how many people are in your same boat. I know I am... I'm not a "hobbiest" but I use the software to run my software packages. I don't want to code (well, not that much anyway). I learned that in college and hated it. I guess the issue is making the program work for people like me, but making it powerful for people who want to do more...

Comment

• azmanar
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Oct 2004

Hi,

I agree with Intrigue, where comments are good for anyone and they can strategize from it to become better than competitors.

At my end, I'm not a hobbyist with AMS. It is one of my important tools to make money.

Before I buy any software, I usually spend a lot of time comparing features, simplicity, intuitiveness, original, pricing, support, formats and potential outputs to make money. Each one will be tested dilligently for my purposes.

So far, AMS matches my requirements for exactly 3 years, without fail.
                        Last edited by azmanar; 11-15-2007, 04:00 AM.
                        Newbie Examples
                        ------> AMS 7.5 : amstudio.azman.info
                        ----> AMS 6 & 5: www.azman.info/ams/
                        ----> FB: facebook.com/GuideToWealth

----> Content Development Blog: www.AZMAN.asia

Comment

• usernameCasper
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2006

I feel the same way.
                          But, keep in mind that AMS isn't an IDE to develop complicated things imo.
                          It's still refer to make simple applications.
                          I'm used to program in cpp and java for many years, don't even forgot pascal
                          and many other languages.
                          While you may program everything in cpp, like AMS is programmed in cpp too,
                          you still can make DLL's or other apps to integrate this into your AMS projects.
                          I'm using AMS for making small applications in no time, that don't require much
                          (advanced) options, for work or serious projects, I stick with Dev-C++ and VC.
                          If you want make something big, with complex things, than I suggest using
                          other IDE's that support them.
                          Any resources that are available in AMS are a big plus for the AMS-users.
                          Thus, I support it's good to post this thread, to make AMS better and better.
                          Programming has never been so simple as this, after using many of IDE's and SDK's.

The huge benefit of AMS is still the time for making applications (much faster
                          than in any language).
                          You don't have to import libraries, making classes, and you don't have to know all the language
                          API's, only when you want too integrate it.

This post is my feeling about it.

-Casper

Comment

• SteveDude
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Desolator View Post
                            If you are interested, I have quit using AMS and I'm focusing on using PHP-GTK, as well as learning C++. Thanks for reading!
                            I've been programming in C/C++ professionally for around 20 years now. I live a very good life off of royalties alone. One that would make most people drewl.

I would dare anyone to create an autoplay app in C++ or any other standard programming language as fast and clean as one done in AMS without a ton of runtimes or extensions. Even Corel who has about a 100 C++ programmers use AMS as their autorun and some of the installer supported code.

I, too was disappointed at first with the 7 update, but now that it is subscription based makes the update worth it.

The RTF control is more important than what is stated. RTF support fits better into many peoples workflow as most license agreements were already done that way.

MSI is much more important and a very valuable tool in todays world of Vista boxes and other OS's in the future. Let me see someone deal with that in C++...just have fun reinventing the wheel.

Code Signing, although I think the handeling could of been better is a big time saver.

Time is money and yes there are other alternatives, but my money is on AMS.

Comment

• rhosk
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • Aug 2003

Yep, have to chime in and agree with the OP subject. I personally don't think it is worth a version change - we've had more features added in the past with mere interim upgrades. I really don't see where this is going.

Not liking the subscription thing either (although haven't needed much support because of the forum). 1 year goes by pretty fast. What happens after a year... what do you have to purchase to stay subscribed? If it's written somewhere, I just haven't looked.

Version 6, etc had a nice feature progression and was well worth the $$ to upgrade. It does what I need it to do, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Is IR at least going to comment? We know you're reading it
                              Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X