• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WildBlue
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2003

Problems with playing MPEG1 Video

I am an intermediate Multimedia Builder user, but am thinking of switching because the whole MMB experience is kind of rough and buggy. However, I'm finding that MPEG1 video autoruns that play with no problem on a Pentium III 500mhz when created in MMB do not play properly if created by Autoplay Media Studio trial version. There are lots of stutters and jumps. If there is no fix for this, then I will have to stay with MMB.

Also, I'm finding that I get program crashes on my Athlon XP1800+ whenever I switch out of AMS it to another application, and then switch back in.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
  • eric_darling
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2002

Re: Problems with playing MPEG1 Video

There is no reason I could think of that would explain why a given MPEG plays well inside one interface while it doesn't in another piece of software on the same computer.

What are the vital statistics of your MPEG? For starters, you can tell us Size in MB and Total duration. It would also be helpful to know what software you used to create the MPEG, and what the pixel dimensions are.

The volatility you describe when switching applications does not describe my experience with the software, but maybe that's a clue to go after? Perhaps someone has extra helpful information for you.

In either case, video that stutters and jumps within AMS is most likely to stutter and jump when played elsewhere too. Most video playback problems are a result of encoding issues or stressing the limits of a processor or drive device.

One last thought - have you tried re-installing AMS?
    Eric Darling
    eThree Media
    http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• eric_darling
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2002

Looks like your data rate is a bit too high for the CD-ROM of your drive in the Athlon. You're pushing it here - let's look at the math:

5.3 MB = 43417.6 kilobits (use my calculator here)
      43417.6 kilobits / 23 seconds = 1887.7 kilobits/second

For safe playback across CD-ROM drives, you need to keep your total data rate under about 1500 kilobits/second. You're not too far over the limit for most drives found today, but apparently enough to cause your Athlon computer to miss the data train. The fact that it's working under different software is testament to the fact that you are barely over the limit, since there is a negligible difference in system resources being utilized by different software (just a fact of life).

Try reducing by a couple hundred kilobits a second and reporting back here.

I think that will go a long way to solving your particular problems. Best of luck.
      Eric Darling
      eThree Media
      http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• WildBlue
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2003

Thanks so much for the advice. I will try changing the kilobits/second and let you know. Have a great weekend.

Comment

Working...
        X