• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmla
    Forum Member
    • May 2003

Need help with different audio streams for one AVI

Normal AVI have only 1 audio stream. But with AVIMUX program we can mix second audio stream to our AVI. For example we can make presentation disk for movie with russian and english translations. We will save the place on the disk if we will use 1 avi with 2 (or 3 or 4) audio streams but not 2 AVIs. In AMS we can choose audio if we will send MCI command in to the AVI Object menu like "setaudio stream to 2". I know this but I dont know how to make button for mci command for my AVI file. Now you know the problem, please help me to solve it if you know how.

Dmitry
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Need help with different audio streams for one AVI

Hmmm interesting, I have no idea though. Sorry, wish I had more to offer.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• ampudia
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2003

I´m trying to do the same as you. Play a movie with 2 audios. Where have I to select the audio to play? Is there any plug-in?
      In your post you say "In AMS we can choose audio if we will send MCI command in to the AVI Object menu like "setaudio stream to 2"", How? I´m in a trouble.

Thanks from Spain.

Comment

• Brett
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jan 2000

I don't think that this will be possible with AMS40. There is no way to send MCI commands to an AVI window at this time. You will probably just have to include two different videos on the CD, one in each language.

The only other possibility (and I have no idea if this is really possible) is to record your two audio channels to seperate MP3 files. Then make the video without any audio. Then when you play the video start the appropriate MP3 at the same time.

Comment

• Derek
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • May 2001

"Then when you play the video start the appropriate MP3 at the same time"

hmm .. that sounds like a sync. issue to me.
          -
          = Derek
          ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• dmla
            Forum Member
            • May 2003

You can write me on my email, and i will show you how to send mci command. We can do it by 2 ways.
            1. send mci command to switch audio streams
            2. call dll function (actions, file, call dll function).

my email: [email protected]

Hello from BELARUS

Comment

• dmla
              Forum Member
              • May 2003

Hello Brett!
              You wrote to me: "I don't think that this will be possible with AMS40. There is no way to send MCI commands to an AVI window at this time."

Dmitry: You are not right. It is possible. As I wrote to our Spain friend Ampudia, I found 2 ways to do it in AMS4, but they are not perfect.
              1. send mci command (AVI object properties, show menu on playbar, then when AVI playing open menu, command, write "setaudio to 2" and press OK - you will hear 2nd audio stream). Problem - you must do so many actions for enabling 2nd stream.
              2. Call DLL function.
              - Make new text object
              - text objct propertys
              - Actions
              - File
              - Call DLL Functions, (winmm.dll $ mciSendStringA $ "open e:\output.avi",0,0,0)
              - Call DLL Functions, (winmm.dll $ mciSendStringA $ "play e:\output.avi repeat",0,0,0)
              - Call DLL Functions, (winmm.dll $ mciSendStringA $ "setaudio e:\output.avi stream to 1",0,0,0)

Problem: our Avi file (e:\output.avi) starts in the new Avi Window. This is not accepteble, because we need to play Avi, and to enable 2nd stream in our AMS window.

Now you can see that it is possible.

You wrote:"You will probably just have to include two different videos on the CD, one in each language."

Dmitry: This is not accepteble, because I should spend a lot of place: 1st AVI (Video1 + Audio1) + 2nd Avi (Video1 + Audio2) + 3rd AVI (Video1 + Audio3). In my case it will be like this: DISK 700Mb = AVI (Video + Audio1 + Audio2 + Audio3).

You wrote:"The only other possibility (and I have no idea if this is really possible) is to record your two audio channels to seperate MP3 files. Then make the video without any audio. Then when you play the video start the appropriate MP3 at the same time."

Dmitry: This is not good, because we do not know hot it will works on the different PCs. I mean that, it can be not synchro. On the big processors it will work, but how it will work on Pentium 166 or Pent 266 etc.

So I think We will do this project If we will have new actions in the AVI Object Properties (Actions, AVI Object - send MCI command, and AVI Object - get property (property: AVI ID).
              I think that it is the best solutions, but I do not know how to solve problems.

Dmitry

Comment

• dmla
                Forum Member
                • May 2003

Hi Ampudia.
                You wrote:
                "Your demo works correctly only when AMS is in drive E (the location you put on the mci command.
                I am going to try to explain what I wanna do: I want to do a presentation in which, when you press a button, que proyect jumps to another page in which there is a video-clip. I want this video-clip whith the first stream.
                Other button will go to another proyect page whith a video-clip hearing the second stream.
                I want it works on any location (drive c, d,e,f,...)"

My solution:
                You can do it only in two ways.
                1. Make 2 AVI files.
                AVI 1 = Video1+Audio1
                AVI 2 = Video1+Audio2
                Make 2 pages, different for 2 AVI files.

2. Make 1 AVI file and 2 MP3 files. Make 2 pages.
                1 Page = AVI 1 + MP3 1
                2 Page = AVI 1 + MP3 2

This 2 ways are possible. Choose what you want.
                De Mon

Comment

Working...
                X