• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2001

Please, don't copy the text!

Hello all-
    I have a client that wants a 90 page report placed on a CD but doesn’t want it to be printed or highlighted and pasted to another program. Any ideas on how it could be dome on AMS?
  • Bruce
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2001

Re: Please, don't copy the text!

Is there any way to NOT allow the ability to highlight and past from the Edit field object, List box object or the Text box object? Hummmm

Comment

• kaylward
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2002

Not specific to AMS, but you could use PDF. You would need the full version of Acrobat to make the document and set the security settings to disallow printing and selecting.

With HTML you could use Javascript to stop selecting and right clicking, but I doubt you could prevent printing. Then again...

Comment

• kpsmith
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2000

PDF is the best in that you can lock down printing copying and changing the document.

You could also do this with an HTML document although it is not nearly as secure.

Basically you would have a Javascript that prevents the right click action

A javascript that would prevent selecting and copying the text

and you could set up a print only sylesheet that when you print it would give you a blank page

The danger is in the user who browses the CD and figures out the files are HTML. They could comment out any of your security methods.

I'd definately change the extentions to something other then HTM to confuse them a bit.

Let me know if you want to go the HTML route I can send you an example of the scripts and stuff....

Comment

• AXXESS
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2001

Regardless of what methods employed, unfortunately, if someone wants the material they can get it. A screen capture utility could be used to make jpgs from the program regardless of what security measures are taken...

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

Just make it an image Bruce. Screencap it or whatever and serve it as a PNG. No text, no copy. If they want to screencap it and re-type it or try to OCR it they can do that, you can't stop them, but at least you will have given your client the best scenario. Besides no one will try to OCR 90 PNGs...

Corey Milner
            Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

BTW it seems to me certain colors do not scan or OCR well, i.e. blue on blue, etc. but you'd have to experiment or do a little research on that.

Corey Milner

Comment

• AGRO
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2000

I don't know how indepth this project is and what it all is about.......I do know that Flash gives you the option to allow the user to select the text or not. Just a thought.....

Comment

• eric_darling
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jun 2002

AGRO hit the nail on the head here, particularly if you want scrolling text. The only way other than rasterizing the text into JPG, and then scrolling in a Web Browser Object, is to go ahead and do a little bit of Flash homework and learn how to do scrolling text windows in there.
                  Eric Darling
                  eThree Media
                  http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• AGRO
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2000

With the new components that Flash MX gives you, there is one in there that is basicly a "drag and drop" to make a scrolling text. Easy as pie!!!

Comment

• Bruce
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Jun 2001

Ahhh your all animals! Great ideas. I think I'll go the pdf route. Thx every one very much!

Comment

• eric_darling
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Jun 2002

Ahhh your all animals!
                        I resent that remark! Would a mere animal be able to do this? (reference picture to the left)
                        Eric Darling
                        eThree Media
                        http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• BaZZa400
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2003

Bruce.
                          I have beenwritting PDFs for a while now and there are not secure at all no matter what. Advanced PDF password *****er will open it in a second. If you encrypt the PDF with a user pw then the program only needs that info to unlock the PDF. If you just set user restrictions inside of the PDF then this is busted in a second. It is a real shame. And as for nobode would OCR 80 images. I have on a job that I was asked to do. It took 2.5 days.

If you are still interested I did come across a site yesterday that I could not get into (behind the code) and you could not press any other key so Srceen Thiefing is out (still looking into it). I actual crashed the computer and still need to find teh site again.

If you are interested then we could exchange E-mail addys.

The right click thing is useless. Hold down LEFT key then hold down RIGHT key then release LEFT key and then Release RIGHT key and there is your drop down menu.

Comment

• Corey
                            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                            • Aug 2002

You can disable someone's keyboard using shockwave or VB sure but that's not a viable way to be doing things... I have a digital camera sitting right here which could easily screencap that thing perfectly, even better than your comp, so it's no deterrent either. OCR would work better in fact on the enlarged resolution of the digital photo than a screencap anyhow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here's some thoughts on this. No matter what the situation or the material you are always going to have a few people who are willing to expend much energy to ***** your security. The vast majority however will not. It has nothing to do with your security.

Password protecting your pdfs will keep the honest people honest as they say and that's about the best you can hope for...

Corey Milner

Comment

• Bruce
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • Jun 2001

And ya know...That's pretty much all I looking for. I know that most security is a joke but, if it makes the client feel better then I'm happy. But thanks for your insite BaZZa400.

Comment

Working...
                              X