Extracting processor info from registry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scally
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2002

Extracting processor info from registry?

Hi folks,
    I recently had a problem with a prog I shipped - (it functioned fine on the test machines here, of course). So I wanted to build a small app to report various stuff about the end-users system that I'll ship with the cd. It's easy enough to do except for one bit of info:
    I'd like to know the end-users processor, preferably type & speed.
    I had a quick look in the registry but I need something that will work across win platforms if possible.
    Is there an easy way of getting such info from a key common to 98se, 2k, xp?
    scally
  • Derek
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2001

Re: Extracting processor info from registry?

Extracting info from

<font color=green>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTIO N\System\CentralProcessor\0\~Mhz</font color=green>

will work on Win2000 / XP ... but doesnt seem to on 9x versions.

[Perhaps a custom dll would be in order here ??]
    -
    = Derek
    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Scally
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2002

Re: Extracting processor info from registry?

Derek,
      Thanks. Yes, I should have been clearer - you've described the problem better than I did - I found the key you mentioned but it wasn't there in 98. Long day, I guess!
      There might already be a dll to do this lurking in the system directory somewhere but I don't think msinfo32.exe calls a dll itself.
      I was trying to limit the info I retrieve to help the end user, so I'd rather not call the exe but that's a work-around if all else fails.
      Scally

Comment

Working...
      X