• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpsmith
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2000

Targeting Web object with other Web object- wont work

I thought I had a good idea of how to control webobjects in AMS but it's not working.

Basically I have two web objects that load local pages. Each page has an Onload command in the body to assign it a name making it so it can be targetted from a link. So now I can load page 2 by clicking a link in page 1 and I can load page 1 by clicking a link in page 2.

This works fine if I'm viewing the two pages in Explorer but when I embed the two windows in AMS they can't seem to find (target) eachother and when I click a link, a new window external to AMS is loaded.

Why wont this work!!

What I have to do instead is have the link in Web Object 1 load itself and append a command on to the URL (Page1.htm?Load2). Get the URL and parse it to get the command. Then based on the command load the 2nd Web Object.

Problem is this causes both objects to reload which visually isn't great plus it resets any form objects to defaults.

Is this an AMS bug or just due to the fact that the windows are embedded
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Targeting Web object with other Web object- wont work

Yeah that makes sense, of course that wouldn't work, you're trying to create pseudo frames but how would your web page know the difference between opening in it's corresponding window and opening in the second web browser object??? You have found the correct solution and seem to have a working project. I'm not sure which portion of what you did you are referring to as a "bug" but it's not anyhow, it's just a matter of understanding how to make those things interact. There are several ways to do it, you have found one such way. Glad you hear your project works.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• kpsmith
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2000

Yep, Pseudo frames is right.. I had my project done in frames originally and it is just so cumbersome to have all these on nav complete events everywhere in AMS. So I thought I'd make it better..

I guess what I wanted was a way for a link in one webobject to directly change what is displayed in the second web object without using an AMS action.

Sounds like you can't do it directly.

Is it because the the two web objects are not actually treated like two Iexplorer windows? So it can't find the other Web object and opens a new one? (Just Like IE would do if only one window was open)

So there is no way to target an embedded webobject from another web object....Too bad that would have been really cool...

My project actually has 3 htm pages and I was going to make a 4th htm page that was behind the rest that all the Links got directed to. Then Parse the URL of the 4th htm to get the action and change one of the 3 visable pages based on the URL.

Thanks Corey

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Add it to the suggestions forum, sounds cool...

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• kpsmith
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2000

In case anyone was looking for the same thing...

worm tipped me off on using a bookmark as the href (#Data) which doesn't refresh the page.

Not exactly what I was trying to do but essentially can be used to accomplish the same thing

Comment

Working...
          X