• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tristatetrader
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2003

Return to same location

Hi! I was inspired by one of your templates (the masterpiece background) to do a treasure hunt.
    In a nutshell the user presses one of the buttons on that page we'll call "Start The Hunt" and then using hidden mouseover text boxes, edit fields etc... the user is presented with a clue in which he/she goes in search through other built menus in search of the answer. Now here's my problem...Upon return to the "Start The Hunt" button, how do I get the current clue that the user is on, to pop back up so that he/she doesn't have to start from the beginning again and go through the sequence until they get to the current clue. Hope this makes sense....I sure would appreciate any example to point me in the right direction.
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Return to same location

Just have a variable named %CurrentClue% let's say, and make sure that each time they get a new clue this variable is updated.

Or if you have your clues stored in a global list (I would) you will already have a numerical variable keeping tally of the current clue's index position within that global list, use that. So in plain english let's say I make a global list of clues:

1. What rhymes with "Donair"?
    2. What's Oprah's middle name?
    3. What do koalas eat?

Then as I move through out the hunt I will simply be updating my text fields to retrieve the current clue from that list by using a GLOBAL LIST > GET VALUE action. This way all you have to do is add 1 to your %CurentClue% variable to increment the list. i.e. start with %CurrentClue% = 1 (What rhymes with "Donair"?) and then just add to it as they get the new clues, i.e. %CurrentClue% = 2 (What's Oprah's middle name?) or %CurrentClue% = 3 (What do koalas eat?)...

Using that method you could build the whole hunt on a single page. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Personally that's my style, I like to keep things dynamic, and therefore, tiny.

BTW as the creator of our templates I am thrilled to hear you're finding them usable.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
    X