• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scally
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2002

filling Email body from AMS

Hi folks,
    I did a quick search to find out how this is done but came up with only a couple of posts which either aren't relevant or I can't get to work. I'm very new to this & so it might well be me but I'd appreaciate some help:
    I'm trying to send an email, the body of which will contain info from some of the built in vars & some custom vars. I managed to get the email prog to open (outlook express running on XP)
    & was able to fill the subject line OK but can't get anything into the body. This is what I got so far:
    <IR_ACTIONS_LIST>
    <Action name="Open">
    <Type>7</Type>
    <Function>0</Function>
    <DTIndentLevel>0</DTIndentLevel>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <ErrorHandling>
    <UserNotificationMode>2</UserNotificationMode>
    <CustomErrorMessage/>
    <OnErrorAction>0</OnErrorAction>
    <JumpToLabel/>
    </ErrorHandling>
    <FileName>mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Problem %20information%20%date%&amp;amp;amp;</FileName>
    <Verb>open</Verb>
    <WorkingDir/>
    <RunMode>0</RunMode>
    </Action>
    </IR_ACTIONS_LIST>
    I tried putting ;body=%flashversion% &amp; similar but nothing seems to appear. (I want the user to see the email)
    Anyone advise please?
    Scally
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: filling Email body from AMS

Try changing this part:

<FileName>mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Problem %20information%20%date%&amp;amp;amp;</FileName>

to:

<FileName>mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Problem %20information%20%date%&amp;amp;Body=%flashversion %</FileName>

BTW, this will only work in some email clients (if it works at all).
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Scally
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2002

Thanks Lorne,
      You say '....it only works in some... clients, if at all...' &amp; I'd tried this but got nothing in the body.
      I was wanting to copy a range of system &amp; custom var details for the end-user to email a problem report.
      Is there anyway of doing this reliably, or should I just create a file containing the info &amp; ask end users to attach the file?
      TIA
      Scally

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

Try this (I missed something the first time).

<FileName>mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Problem %20information%20%date%&amp;Body=%flashversion%</FileName>

Comment

• Scally
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2002

Thanks Lorne,
          That works OK in XP with outlook express.
          In your first mail you said it might not work at all.
          As I'm planning to ship to end users, can you give a bit more detail of where you think it won't work, please?
          Obviously I'll try &amp; test it on different systems before it goes but if you already suspect it'll be problematic, I'd like to build in an alternate if users can't use this.
          TIA
          Scally

Comment

• Brett
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Jan 2000

Your best bet would be to setup a script on your Web site (php, ASP,JSP or whatever) that accepts fields such as the sender's email address, subject and message and then send the email through your Web server's email server. You could then use the Submit to Web action to submit the details from your autoplay application. This would be the most robust and reliable way to do this.

Comment

• Lorne
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Feb 2001

Well, it should work with any standards-compliant email client. I imagine there must be some email client out there that won't work, just because there are so many of them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The real problem, though, is for anyone who uses a web-based email interface, like hotmail. It's more than likely that Outlook Express will still be the default mail client on those systems, but it won't have any accounts configured...so even if the user figures out how to send the email (i.e. to click on "Send" or whatever), the email wouldn't go anywhere, since they don't have a POP3 account set up.

Comment

• Scally
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2002

Thanks Lorne,
                Now I understand!
                The clients were a little dubious about having anything on their website - (paranoia?) but I can at least form a cohesive argument now, rather than just muttering about ' it might not work'
                Cheers &amp; a merry Christmas to you all - Great Product
                Scally

Comment

Working...
                X