• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davo
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2002

Show files in a folder

I am a brand new user, and not a programmer - so forgive any silly questions.
    I would like an action to show the files in a specific folder, so the user can then select the file they would like to open. I can find actions to create and delete a folder but not simply to open a folder.
    Thanks
    Davo
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Show files in a folder

Hi Davo, there are no silly questions, ask anything you need to know. Simply use the DIALOG > FILEBROWSE action.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Davo
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2002

Thanks Corey
      To understand the setup of Folder Browse
      The folder I want to browse is loacted on the C: drive as
      \desktop\my computer\all users\shared documents\project\distribution\xyz\

Do I need to type this in full under
      Locations
      Default folder

Do I need the % at the start and the end?

What do we put in the default area:
      Variable
      %FullPath%

Thanks for your help

Davo

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Yes whatever path you put in the default path area will be the folder it opens by default... You don't need to use a % sign though, just go:

c:\desktop\my computer\all users\shared documents\project\distribution\xyz\

if that is indeed your path or use whatever path you like there, any literal path is fine or you can also use built in paths like %SrcDir% or %Desktop% in whole or in part.

As to the variable area, that is where the name of the file your user chooses will be stored. Whatever variable name you put there will be the one which will contain the name of the file your user selected once they have selected a file.

Corey Milner

Comment

• Davo
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2002

Thanks Corey
          that seems to work.
          We store the file browse result in a variable and then use that variable to File Open, and that also seems to work.
          2 extra things
          - the file open is a word document. Can we get the system to return to the Autoplay after mouse clicking after the word doc is opened (ie the user has reviewed the word document and finished with this)?
          - we are creating this on Win XP and when burned to a CD it works fine on Win XP, but when we try on Win 98, the file open command just defaults to the last folder in which the last file was opened, rather than going to where we are trying to point via the file browse. Is there a difference with Win 98 in that we have to try and clear the variable somehow?

Your help is much appreciated.

Davo

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

Not too sure on that perhaps someone else here has an idea??? Anyone???

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
            X