• Show
Clear All
  • pamfilla
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2002

Check Internet connection

hej,

it's me again...
    about the action Check Internet connection - in your example you say it's checking, if the user is capable to go online - is there a possibility to check if he's already online and only in this case to go to the "online"-website - otherwise straight to the saved offline site. The difference is, I don't want the dial-up to pop up, if the user is not online...
    Did I confused you again? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif[/img])

thanks for advice,
    Michael.
  • TJ_Tigger
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Sep 2002

Re: Check Internet connection

In looking at the example in the help file, I seems to me that what you are asking it to do is what it already is doing.

It does not check to see if one has the capability to go online, it checks to see if an internet connection is established (i.e., the user is already connected). Tto continue with the example, if the IsConnected returns true (the user has an internet connection established) then it will do a file.open on the .html file which will open the website in the users default web browser. If the IsConnected returns false (no internet connection established) it will open it from the CD.

There was an earlier post where a user was trying to establish the connection if they were not connected. I don't know where he is on that project. I will do a search.
    TJ-Tigger
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
    Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• pamfilla
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2002

hej Tigger,

that's exactly what I meant...

the action checks if the user could go online and if he's not already, the dial-up window pops up and when I say "stay offline" it loads the offline site from the CDrom - but I would like it to check only if the user is already online and if not go directly to the offline site without trying to connect with the dial-up...that's different, isn't it?

Thanks for bothering about my newbie questions...and sorry for my confusing english again

Michael

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Just two cents from an ancient design beast:

Occasionally people are too obsessed with covert automation and will spend hours trying to find a workaround to a simple "Are you connected to the internet" button or the mere presence of a check connection dialog when in fact the end user doesn't notice the difference at all and/or couldn't care less. I've seen it a thousand times. Micromanaging can have it's benefits but it's definitely a two edged sword.

Not saying that's you or anything, just a general comment aimed directly into the wind.

I remember in my early years often spending entire sleepless weekends pounding away at some microscopic workaround which I had imagined was going to revolutionize my end user's experience only to conclude, after some time, that 99% of the time they didn't give a rat's patootie and that the workarounds had ostensibly added no functionality whatsoever.

Fun times...

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Sep 2002

Unless I am not understanding something here, what you want it to do is what it does.

I would like it to check only if the user is already online and if not go directly to the offline site without trying to connect with the dial- up
          TJ-Tigger
          "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
          "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
          Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• pamfilla
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2002

hej Corey,

thanks for the beast's wise words...
            you are right and I will stop worrying - anyway it's just to learn and understand...
            I remember too the sleepness nights when something didn't worked because I forgot to put a kommata somewhere...

And I hope TJ Tigger will excuse me for confusing him... thank you for the care taking...
            (just one last time [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]) - the point was that I don't want to have the dial-up coming up) - anyway, there are more important problems in this world to solve...

take care, greetings from Greece

Michael.

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

You could create a flash movie which attempts to download something from the internet, i.e. a text file from your site and, if it can't, returns a 0. (If it can returns a 1)

Corey Milner
              Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
              X