• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulD
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2002

Controlling MP3 Playback

Hi,

I am using the trial version and want to use Autoplay to create MP3 talk CDs. It looks great so far but I'm not able to figure out if I can rewind or fast forward an MP3. The talks are anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes long. The CD will have about 12 hours worth of lectures on it.

I presently own Director 8.5 and am having to decide between upgrading to the MX version when it's released or buying Autoplay. My primary use will be for making these MP3 talk CDs so having a way to rewind and fast forward is very important.

Does anyone have any suggestions or places I can find information regarding controlling MP3s or interface ideas to do that?

The examples I have seen do not have controls for moving backward or forward and with my talks being 30-45 minutes you have to have a way to repeat or skip some of the talk.

Thanks,

PaulD
  • Brett
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jan 2000

Re: Controlling MP3 Playback

You can always run the MP3 files through a Media Player Object. That way the user will have all of the usual, familiar Media Player controls available to them while they listen.

Comment

• PaulD
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2002

Brett,

One of the things I like about Autoplay is the built in MP3 player and not having to deal with what the user has or does not have installed on their machine. The typical user will be VERY unfamiliar with such things and Autoplay appears to get rid of many of those types of problems.

Can you tell me where in the help file I could find information about seeking or rewinding and fast forwarding MP3 files?

Is it possible? Unfortuneately this will be the deal maker or breaker for me.

Thanks,

PaulD

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Just look in the help file Index under "MP3 - Seek"

Seek is the key to both rewinding and fast forwarding.

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Adam
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • May 2000

You could make buttons seek to certain points in your project. So what you could do is have a button (text/image) that describes where in the MP3 file you would like to jump to. In that button you would simply include an action like:

MP3 -> seek(30) where 30 is the point (in seconds) that you would like to skip to.

If you have any further questions regarding MP3s please feel free to inquire in this thread and I’m sure that we can help you to obtain the functionality that you require.

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

Just a thought but I'm inclined to think that Brett's suggestion is not going to be anymore confusing to end users than Adam's (equally marvellous) suggestion, yet more flexible. I doubt that the bulk of your audience falls precisely in between the ease-of-use of these two suggestions, i.e. anyone who can identify and use a rewind or seek button can also very likely identify and use a play or stop button.

Just my two cents.

Corey Milner
            Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• PaulD
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2002

Brett, Adam, Corey,

I tried using insert media object and that works great. I was fixated on using the built in MP3 player just so I would not have to depend on the user having anything installed but the media object works so well that I feel myself losing the need to accommodate very old OSs etc.

Can you tell me who will have problems viewing a media object (MP3)? Can Windows 95 or Windows 98 first edition view them? If nothing else I would like to be able to inform the users what they may need to do to be able to view the CD and whether I could do it for them from the CD.

Also are there any issues regarding what fonts to use for maximum compatibility. My goal is to be able to have Win 95 and Win 98 first edition users be able to view my CD without problems. What fonts are fully compatible across all OSs? I read somewhere that 95 and 98 are unable to use True Type.

I realize that I am asking alot for a person using a trial and I am going to purchase as this seems SOOOOO much easier than trying to use Director. I'm just trying to make sure my base needs will be met.

Will I receive a manual (PDF) with purchasing and is there any reason to purchase the CD as opposed to just downloading the file? I am a tech book junkie and like to have whatever reference is available to use.

Thanks For Your Help,

PaulD

Comment

• Brett
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Jan 2000

PaulD,

From the docs:

The Media Player ActiveX control (msdxn.ocx) is installed with:

Windows Media Player (any version)
                Windows 98 SE (or newer)
                Windows NT4 SP5 (or newer)
                Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 2 (or newer)
                DirectX 6.0 (or newer)

So basically, it is very unlikely that a user would not have the media player control installed. Keep in mind that the Media Player application and the Media Player ActiveX control are not the same thing (although the app uses the control). The user does not need Media Player the application installed, just the control which shipped with IE4, DX6, etc. In praticality there is not much to worry about there.

Keep in mind that AMS40 allows you to detect the user's version of Media Player control and can even send them to the download site. See Project | Settings on the Requirements tab.

As far as the docs go, the help file that you have with the evaluation version is it as far as docs go. It is very thorough and complete. We do not ship a physical manual so the electronic download may be enough for you.

Comment

Working...
                X