• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KDub
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2002

Hello all!

Just registered and wanted to poke my head in to say "hello all"...

So...... uhhhhhh... hello all.

Anyway, I also had a question regarding AMS.

Is there a way to attach to SQL Databases?

Thanks for any help in advanced, and I look forward to getting to know you people! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers.
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Hello all!

Hey Kdub, glad to meet you...

How do you currently integrate with your SQL database from appliations or web sites? Chances are your current method can be piggy-backed using AMS...

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• John-oh
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2000

All this is beyond me, but here's a link to something similar that Corey put together..

I doing this, 'cause when Coreys answering Forum questions - he's not working on the new web site [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Comment

• John-oh
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jun 2000

Dam .. just too late.

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

[img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Corey Milner

Comment

• sferguson
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Oct 2003

Re: Re: Hello all!

Hi Folks...

Appologies in advance if I'm missing something obvious -

How can I access the tutorial mentioned below?

Originally posted by John-oh
            All this is beyond me, but here's a link to something similar that Corey put together..

I doing this, 'cause when Coreys answering Forum questions - he's not working on the new web site [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
            -Scott F.

Comment

• Brett
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Jan 2000

That link is to a message on the old forums so it will not work. In short, one of the best ways to access databases through AMS40 is by hosting your database on a Web site (perhaps MySQL) and expose scripts that can be executed (perhaps written in PHP or ASP) and then use AMS40's Internet - Submit to Web action to submit data to the Web and then parse the returned resuls. Not for the faint of heart but it does work well if you know your Web database programming.

If you want to host the database locally, that is a bit more difficult. The main problem is that most databases need a pre-installed DBMS in place before queries can be executed. The whole thing really depends on your needs... are you trying to use AMS40 to mine data from an existing corporate database or juetc trying to store a bit of information between sessions or somewhere in-between. If we know what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps we can find some better ideas for you.

Comment

• sferguson
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Oct 2003

SQL querries...

Brett,

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

We have a corporate database (SQL) that stores details related to each job our freelance reporters handle.

I'm using AMS 4, however I've just downloaded the 5 beta and WOW... what a killer upgrade!

My AMS app will be installed on local desktops in the shipping dept. (and eventually on a touch-screen kiosk)

I'm using AMS to create an app that:

- Prompts user to enter the job number from the freelancer's job turn-in sheet
                (the job number was automatically generated by the SQL database when the freelancer was assigned the gig

- Querries the SQL database for the job details

- Displays the job details in the AMS app

Other notes:
                Creating a web-based solution sounds fine by me, I'm pretty web and tech savvy, and a super-quick study to boot, when it comes to learning just the pieces and parts of what's needed.

I've been trucking through the user forums, as well as the AMS 5 "Scripting Basics" lesson and Scripting Guide. I also have my handy-dandy "Learn JavaScript in 24 Hours" book within arms reach.

I don't scare easy, but I'm just not sure what road will be the simplest (...I'm a big fan of the KISS mantra when it comes to building something). What might you and the fellas at IR suggest?
                -Scott F.

Comment

• Brett
                  Indigo Rose Staff Member
                  • Jan 2000

What are your requirements for the database? Does it have to be a certain type (Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server)? Does the database already exist? Would putting it on a Web server be an option? If so, what kind of Web server (in terms of OS and installed software)?

Or are things open-ended and up to you as far as the database interface?

Comment

• sferguson
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Oct 2003

Things are pretty open ended...

The existing enterprise job tracking app is based on MS SQL Server, and currently facilitates web access to the data

see: RB Web Demo - Reporter Login
                    -Scott F.

Comment

• Brett
                      Indigo Rose Staff Member
                      • Jan 2000

The existing enterprise job tracking app is based on MS SQL Server, and currently facilitates web access to the data
                      Well that makes the whole job much easier. If you haven't started development with AMS40 then I would strongly reccomend that you do it with AMS50 because it has much more flexible ways to deal with returned data. You should have no trouble getting AMS to post data to an ASP page and having the ASP page return results that can then be parsed and used by the ASM50 runtime.

Comment

• sferguson
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Oct 2003

Hey, that's GREAT news!

I'm a bit new to these areas, in terms of having my sleeves rolled up and being "hands-on" in the process.

If I can find an example (the more closely related the better) I can "model" the heck out of something. At this point, it's the "blank canvas" that's a little bit daunting.

What resources or tutorials could you suggest?
                        -Scott F.

Comment

• Corey
                          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                          • Aug 2002

We have a training CD coming out in the next week or so here which is perfect for your situation... It'll be announced here in the forum so keep an eye out if this interests you.

Corey Milner

Comment

• sferguson
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • Oct 2003

Sweet! I'll be counting the days.

In the mean time, has anybody else already been through this one? I've got a project deadline that's tearin' up the calendar, with more projects stacking up behind it than Santa Claus will be able to shake a candy cane at (...it's beginning to look alot like pre-Christmas project rush time).

If it's a matter of needing to "book" some one-on-one, invoiceable time with one of the gurus, that might be an option. I don't have a budget for the project, per say, but I'm reasonably confident I could "expense" it, along with the AMS 5 upgrade.

Any takers?
                            -Scott F.

Comment

• Corey
                              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                              • Aug 2002

We have excellent rates here at IR for a variety of services, training and project assistance being among them. If that's something you would like to get more details about simply email [email protected] any time and they'll be happy to answer any questions you might have...

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                              X