• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluenoser
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2002

linking several menus

I tried using 2 menus ... one as a video intro with a small masked shape that jumped to the other larger main menu when the video ended. This visual part worked quite well and is an improvement over ams3 with the shape flexibility from masking however I have an mp3 file that is to begin when the main menu initializes and repeats until the menu is closed. When I preview the project from the first intro menu it works fine but when I build the project I get an error that there is no mp3 loaded in the player. I built the main menu and then moved all of the files in the distribution folder (including the distribution folder itself) to the distribution folder of the intro menu ('project_name\distribution\distribution') and then linked the video to start the main menu when it finished. I guess what I am wondering is, is there a nesting protocall when using two or more menus since I would also like to use another menu to exit as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: linking several menus

- Moving the whole distribution folder is a good way to do it; you might want to rename the folder to something more appropriate though (like "Main" or "Intro" depending on which menu is the one on the "inside"...note that you can either call the main menu from the intro when it exits, or call the intro menu from the main one as it initializes...). The idea is to not overwrite anything in the other menu's distribution folder.

- Note that you may need to adjust external references if any paths change as a result of renaming folders or moving them "deeper," depending on how you've set things up.

- Where is the main menu looking for the mp3? What is the path? Is the MP3 at that path? (Probably not, from the sound of it, so check carefully.)
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Bluenoser
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2002

Thanks for responding. The mp3 path is simply listed as %SrcDir%\file.mp3 and the mp3 is in the main menu distribution folder which is itself nested within the intro distribution folder along with the autoplay exe and other files that are normally there. I'll play around and see if calling the intro from the main menu will change things. I really never thought about doing it that way. Could there be any obvious benefit to this method?
      One more question on another note if I may (or should I open another thread).... After building a data cd that contains several exe's and media files the files are all in the same open root directory and visable to anyone who clicks on the cd drive in explorer. Is there a way to have these files in a folder in the root instead. Am3 allowed me to have an app, media, image or whatever one level or more removed. Just curious but I think it would be neater and perhaps there are situations where the files should be less obvious.
      Anyway thanks greatly in advance

Comment

• Lorne
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Feb 2001

The mp3 path is simply listed as %SrcDir%\file.mp3 and the mp3 is in the main menu distribution folder which is itself nested within the intro distribution folder along with the autoplay exe and other files that are normally there
        I'm still not sure how you have this organized...but here's the basic approach you want to use: build both menus separately, in separate project folders, just like you were doing two separate projects (except that one calls the other on exit, or on startup, whichever way you choose). Build the "second" one first. Then, copy the distribution folder for the "second" menu into the distribution folder of the other menu. I'd rename the folder, too, so your directory structure makes sense and your paths aren't as confusing.

Adjust the "File - Execute" action in the "first" menu so it runs the "second" menu's executable (i.e. adjust the path). Then build the "first" menu.

I'll play around and see if calling the intro from the main menu will change things. I really never thought about doing it that way. Could there be any obvious benefit to this method?
        Not really. If you wanted to start playing an MP3 during the intro, and then have it continue after the intro into the "main" part without stopping, then you need to call the intro from the main menu. Also, calling the intro from the main menu makes it a bit easier to make the intro optional (e.g. storing whether the user wants to see it in the Registry).

But mostly it's just a matter of preference.

Is there a way to have these files in a folder in the root instead. Am3 allowed me to have an app, media, image or whatever one level or more removed.
        You have full control over where you put things on the CD.

Just build the same folder structure in your Distribution folder for that project, and adjust your external references to match.

Example:

Distribution\Audio\DoubleAgent.mp3

...referred to as:

%SrcDir%\Audio\DoubleAgent.mp3
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Bluenoser
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2002

Thanks Lorne ! Your help has made things much clearer. This forum and it's members and staff are a truly unbeatable resource. Again, many thanks !

Comment

Working...
          X