• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmoisan
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2002

Save window last position ?

Hi, I need your help (again !). I'd like to know if there's a way to know a window position (X and Y coordinates). I know I can move a window with specified coordinates, but I want my project to "remember" the window position on close, even if I moved it manually (for instance, by saving the X and Y coordinates in the Registry).

Thanks a lot ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
  • kpsmith
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2000

Re: Save window last position ?

Curious if you ever figured out a way to do this???

Here's my idea...

If you edit the XML in the AMS 4 file using a text editor you can assign varaiables to the X and Y Coordinates that the program opens to according to a move command at Program Launch.

(Do a search for <XCoordinate> or <YCoordinate> in the XML and insert a %variable% in place of the value you initially set)

<XCoordinate>%X_Location%</XCoordinate>
    <EnableY>1</EnableY>
    <YCoordinate>%Y_Location%</YCoordinate>

Now you assign values for those variables from a registry key or text file to determine the location the window opens at.

Now the question is how do you capture the windows position at close. This I haven't quite figured out yet but...

You could put arrow icons that move the screen 1-5 pixesl at a time by assigning a move command to the graphic on click.

You then record every click as a +/- in the X or Y and modify the text file or reg key to reflect the location change.

That way the next time you open the program it will open at the position you left it.

The error to the logic is I do not know how to track the window being moved by a mouse click and drag of the title bar.

It appears you could write a program that grabs the X/Y coordiantes of the active window since that functionality is included in the windows API but that is a bit out of my league.

I'd be interested to hear anyone elses ideas on how this might be acomplished.

Seems all we need is a get Window Location action added.

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

It's very easy to create an .exe to do that using any of the fine Borland tools such as VC++, Delphi, or JBuilder... It's easy to find freeware components to do this by doing a Google search such as the TgbSaveSettings component here (scroll down the list):

Click here for component

Corey Milner
      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Brett
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jan 2000

Hey, you want it, you got it! We made a custom DLL and Knowledge Base article describing the process for you to determine the size and position of a window. Read the KB article:

HOWTO: Get the Position and Size of a Window

Comment

• John-oh
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jun 2000

Geesh ... Don't you just loove this forum.

The value add is just amazing...

Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

Yeah that rocks. Now we're getting to the good stuff.

Corey Milner
            Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• kpsmith
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2000

At IndigoRose Dreams do come true.....

You better stop spoiling us like this or we'll start to expect this level of outstanding service

Comment

• jmoisan
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2002

OMG ! This is unbelievable !

Once again, you guys are the best ! Thank you [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X