• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinsart
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2002

Video stutters when it is played on the CD

I created 7 mpeg 1 files that are about 20MB a piece. They stutter when played off the CD in my auto play menu creation. I tested it on three machines and the slowest one (600mhz) with Windows Media Player 7 was the only one that worked well. My other machines (gigahertz +) with Windows Media Player 8 and 9 stuttered all the time. How can I fix this?

Please Help.

Kevin
    [email protected]
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Video stutters when it is played on the CD

If you burn them to a CD and then playthem back (No AMS) do they still stutter?

Doesn't sound like AMS is the thing, sounds like a media player issue. If it was AMS it probably wouldn't have worked right on the older machine...

What's the video size and frame rate?

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• kevinsart
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2002

The framerate is 30 frames per second and the video size is 352 x 240.

Comment

• kevinsart
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2002

yea they stutter even without ams [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Is 30fps to much?

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

Yes I would say for sure 30 fps is not needed for your application. Now that being said Eric Darling has forgotten more about video than I know, and I'm sure he'll weigh in with the best way to convert your video, etc.

I wouldn't think you would need more than 15 fps though... That's what we use. Our video tutorials are like 7 fps or something. But for full action video I don't think you want to go below 15.

My opinion is the video is choking due to the frame rate and once that is reduced it'll probably run smoothly. Try reducing it in any video editor such as Premiere and then test it, should work...

As for the frame size that's perfectly reasonable but I'm not sure how media player handles non standard sizes. I read that once you get away from a 4:3 ratio that some codecs start getting phunky and choke... So in that case 320 X 240 would be the thing, Again though I'm not 100% sure about this factor...

Corey Milner

Comment

• Bruce
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2001

Right on both accounts Corey, That's what we use here.

Comment

• yosik
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jun 2002

An important point is the bitrate of your Mpeg1 files. Standard VCD is 1150 kbps and you can get higher quality with 2Mb. But if you go higher (3, 5...) you are both wasting data space and forcing your PC to handle a lot of data.
              I would check this out and NOT lower the fps rate.
              Good luck
              Yossi

Comment

• kevinsart
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2002

the bitrate was 1150 kbps

Comment

• Michael
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2000

Eric, you d' man.

I'm really happy with the way AMS is handling mpeg1. It's such an advancement over the avi of yesteryear.

What effect does sizing the video (grabbling the handles and enlarging) have on the quality? once they are embedded in the mediaplayer object? Can we stretch it slightly without giving up too much quality?

I love it when he talks "GOPs". [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• eric_darling
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Jun 2002

MPEG-1 was built originally to resize, and I'd argue that it does a better job than most other format/codecs out there. A VCD is intended to play full screen on a TV monitor (even though it's only 352x240 pixels) - most say it's approximately VHS quality (although VHS is analog, so many aspects are apples and oranges - VHS doesn't have macroblocks or concatenation errors, but you get the point).

It will depend on a few variables - how much data rate can you throw at the video? How much quality degradation has to take place until you think it looks too "bad?" It gets to a point where it's pretty subjective, and depends on the audience and purpose of the video. (and also the original quality source file)

Yeah, MPEG-1 burns AVI any old day. But then, just about anything does. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Now, if those brilliant types up at IR can get together on that Corey suggestion for building-in support for QuickTime directly into the program, without needing the QT package installed on a client machine to run a project with QT files, Whoa Nellie! Then we'd be cooking with gas.
                    Eric Darling
                    eThree Media
                    http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Corey
                      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                      • Aug 2002

Yeah, amen to that, a full quicktime object would rock big time... I'm sure Brett heard that, if it's feasible it might just show up...

Another possibility, are you sure the person in the video isn't stuttering? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                      X