• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmoisan
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2002

Delimiters in List Box Objects

Here's my problem : I want to make a playlist editor for my video player. When I load the playlist editor, it reads my TXT file (which has all the file paths to my video files, one on each line), and puts it into a variable called %Playlist%. After that, I use the "List Box Objects > Add" action to put the %playlist% variable's value into my List Box Object, but once again, the paths are delimited by a <Enter> (one path on each line in my TXT file). How can I tell AMS4 to use a <Enter> as a delimiter ? 'Cause now in run time, the List Box has only one object, which is all the paths in my TXT file, separated with weird square symbols ???

Thanks in advance ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
  • Adam
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • May 2000

Re: Delimiters in List Box Objects

Have you thought about just editing the text file by hand, remove all the 'end of line' characters and replace with a good delimiter (; or something like that.

Else I'm sure that Lorne has a fancy way to use the end of line character as a delimiter.

Personally I prefer the simple solutions,,

Comment

• Lorne
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Feb 2001

You also prefer to end sentences with commas. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

There are two really easy ways to do it. Both of them involve creating a pair of design-time constants to represent the carriage return (CR) and linefeed (LF) characters.

(In Windows, each line in a text file is terminated by a CR and LF pair, usually referred to as "CRLF".)

To set up those constants, go to the Project Settings dialog, click on the Configurations tab, select a build configuration (e.g. Default Build), and then add these two constants:

Name one of them #ASC_CR#, with a value of 13.

Name the other one #ASC_LF#, with a value of 10.

#ASC_CR# and #ASC_LF# will be replaced at build time with the characters represented by numbers 13 and 10 (hex 0D and 0A) in the ASCII table.

Now, armed with a way to "type" a CR and LF in AutoPlay, we can use one of two methods to get that text file's contents into the list box.
      • Just use #ASC_CR##ASC_LF# as the delimiter in your "List Box Object - Add" action.
      • Or, use a "String - Replace" action to replace every occurence of #ASC_CR##ASC_LF# in the text with whatever delimiter you want to use in the "List Box Object - Add" action.

Easy, huh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• jmoisan
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2002

Thanks a lot ! You guys are the best ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• kpsmith
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2000

Would this same sort of procedure apply for Tab delimited files or is there an easier way?

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

Yep, just use a constant like #ASC_TAB# and assign "9" to it.
            --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• kpsmith
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2000

Uh, never mind I figured it out. Thanks Lorne for the tip...

For those that want the info you would simply do the following to represent the Tab Character...

SET

#ASC_TAB#, with a value of 09

And then just use #ASC_TAB# for your delimiter

Looks like Lorne beat me to it....

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

HA! Prefers to end his sentences with commas. Uproarious hilarity...

Corey Milner
                Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
                X