• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Agent Jones
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2004

Animated Popups

Hi everyone,

You all have probably seen animated popups in Windows XP, and I'd like to know if you can do one of those with AMS 5.

The "animated popups" I'm talking about show up on several applications:
    • MSN Messenger (notifications coming from bottom)
    • McAfee Personal Firewall (application alert showing up from right)
    • McAfee SecurityCenter (update notifications showing up from bottom)
    • Norton LiveUpdate (a popup shows up when it automatically updates)
    • Many others, I guess...

Please help me... Thanks
  • Agent Jones
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2004

OK, I found out a few controls that actually make those popups.

Now the problem is these controls are made as components for Microsoft Visual Studio. How can I integrate them into AMS?

I really need this... Thanks.

Comment

• JimS
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • May 2003

I don’t know anything about the controls you speak of, but it seems to me that you can do it with AMS5.

If it were me, I’d consider building the popup as a separate AMS project. You can position it wherever you’d like, and even have it move around the screen if you want.

If you need it to change shapes more than that, check out Worm’s SetMask plugin

Hope that helps

Comment

• Agent Jones
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JimS
        I don’t know anything about the controls you speak of, but it seems to me that you can do it with AMS5.

If it were me, I’d consider building the popup as a separate AMS project. You can position it wherever you’d like, and even have it move around the screen if you want.

If you need it to change shapes more than that, check out Worm’s SetMask plugin

Hope that helps
        Hi,

Thanks for replying. The controls I referred in my previous posts are, for example, PopupNotify 1.1, AlertPOP or PopupAlert Objects. I have also found out an ActiveX component, which does the same thing: ShellObjects.

I have considered creating a separate project, but I don't think AMS has been designed to create the sort of animation effects. You must certainly have MSN Messenger, or at least have seen it working, and noticed the notification popups (like "JimS has signed in"). I don't think an AMS project is that "lite".

As for your suggestion about Worm's Plugin, I'm pretty sure it would be a great buy - but I can't purchase anything for now.

So, back to my option, is it possible to use a Visual Studio component in AMS? Thanks.

Regards,
        Agent Jones

Comment

• Worm
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jul 2002

If it requires a container object, then I think the answer is no unless you put it in a web object or even an IE window and use COM automation. Plus I see price tags on these babies too and you stated you didn't want to purchase anything.

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

You might be able to use the DLL.CallFunction action to call something like that from AutoPlay. (You might need to create a DLL wrapper for the control, or find a similar control that has a compatible API, or ask the authors for a DLL version, etc.)

Way beyond the scope of support but the short answer is "yep, should be possible, but it might take some C++ work on your part."

(You could even grab the AutoPlay SDK and create an object plugin...)

In other words, although you can't directly use such a control within AutoPlay, given a bit of programmer elbow grease you should be able to find a way to achieve the same effect by calling an external routine (whether it's a free one or a bought one or one that you program yourself).
            Last edited by Lorne; 08-03-2005, 03:02 PM.
            --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

SDK download link

Comment

• TJ_Tigger
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Corey
                wink wink nudge nudge

LOL
                TJ-Tigger
                "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
                "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
                Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• Dermot
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Apr 2004

The attached example shows how you can use the Popup Alert control from Innovasys with Luacom and AMS. This example only shows how to set the text and the position for the popup. There are lots of other properties you can experiment with.

Requires the trial version of Popup Alert from Innovasys and the luacom plugin.

Works really well :yes
                  Last edited by Dermot; 05-09-2007, 11:26 PM.
                  Dermot

I am so out of here :yes

Comment

• Worm
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Jul 2002

Very cool!

Innovasys produces some really nice controls. Although this one seems a bit pricey to me...

Still, very cool!

Originally posted by Dermot
                    The attached example shows how you can use the Popup Alert control from Innovasys with Luacom and AMS. This example only shows how to set the text and the position for the popup. There are lots of other properties you can experiment with.

Requires the trial version of Popup Alert from Innovasys and the luacom plugin.

Works really well :yes

Comment

• Intrigued
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Dec 2003

Works great! To pricey for my blood. I'll have to code my own.

Intrigued

Comment

• Dermot
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Apr 2004

Yep! it's a little pricey for sure but if you have a project that needs that functionality and you can price it in then it's not bad considering how long it would take to roll your own and get the same professional look. I just thinks it's great that we can use these cool controls in AMS. Thank God for Luacom :yes :yes :yes

Yes Innovasys have some great controls. I use there free Button Plus all the time in VB and Access and it's awsome. :yes I have also used their Explorer Bar which again is great. :yes
                        Dermot

I am so out of here :yes

Comment

• Lorne
                          Indigo Rose Staff Member
                          • Feb 2001

Good catch, Dermot. I keep forgetting about luacom.
                          --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Corey
                            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                            • Aug 2002

I keep forgetting about luacom
                            Easy COM, easy go...

Comment

• Agent Jones
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2004

Thanks everyone!

I'll try to find some free alternative to Innovasys... Who knows, I might be lucky :lol

EDIT: How can you change the style of the popup box? The InnovaSys manual says

Code:
                              Alert.Style = AlertStyleOffice2003
                              So I placed in the code:

Code:
                              Popup.Style = AlertStyleOffice2003
                              But it doesn't work
                              Last edited by Agent Jones; 08-04-2005, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X