• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ed46
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2002

kiosk keypad navigation

Hey,

We have a project that involves 9 chapter points that need to be accessed by the end user. The project
    will be used in trade shows and displayed on a kiosk. HOw do we link the pads of the kiosk to the commands
    in auto play 4.0, in other words the end user wants to be able to choose any of nine chapter points to view
    and then return to the main menu when complete, or automatically go to the next chapter.

thanks, ed46
  • Lorne
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: kiosk keypad navigation

How do the pads interface with the computer? What kind of input device is it? Are they seen as keystrokes, or...?
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• ed46
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2002

I have 9 mpeg 1 files that need to assigned chapter points so the end user can select which one to view and at the end of the selected chapter either return to a main menu, or continue to the next chapter. the
      kiosk is self standing, no computer, the key pads are part of the kiosk itself. they are on the front of the
      kiosk, i think its three rows of five keys each. this is a first time big client for us, and our first kiosk job. we
      really need help., thanks so much, ed46

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Well you need to interface your keypad, there's no choice there. What type of computer is the core of this kiosk? What type of keypad is it?

I have dabbled in kiosks although I'm no expert, but I am absolutely certain that you cannot achieve a thing until you get that keypad connected to your core computer...

The keypads we worked with had connectors exactly like standard keyboards and it registered exactly as a number pad so all we had to do was hook the keys, we achieved that easily using once Delphi and another time using a Director Xtra.

Actually we worked with some that were USB too, and again they acted exactly like number pads, registering standard number keystrokes...

What do the wires look like which come from your keypad and what's at the end of them in terms of a connector?

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• Lorne
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Feb 2001

If the key pads on the kiosk correspond to the number keys on a numeric keypad, just set up your navigation buttons (as Image Objects, or Text Objects, or an image with Hotspot Objects, or whatever) and assign shortcut keys to the objects on the Attributes tab.

For example, for the bottom left kiosk key, click on the Shortcut key field and press the "1" key on the numeric keypad.

At run time, pressing that "1" key will perform all the actions assigned to the "On Mouse Click" event for that object.

Comment

• ed46
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2002

corey,

the kiosk is not connected to a computer. It is a self contained unit, and cdrom drive, a screen and
            a keypad that is part of the unit. Kind of like a tv/dvd combo player. So there will be no connecting
            cables etc. Its all in one. How would you go about creating the navigational links if it were a regular
            key pad. All I need is 9 actions to take the viewer to the 9 different mpeg files. How would this be
            done with a normal keypad, perhaps its done the same way. I am not able to get the client to see how
            hard this is to do without having the keypad here.\

ed

Comment

• Lorne
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Feb 2001

It doesn't matter what kind of box the parts are in, if it can run AutoPlay, it's a Windows computer. If it isn't, it won't run AutoPlay in the first place.

Obviously a standard computer keyboard comes with more than 9 keys on it. The way kiosks are usually made is to pick 9 keys from a standard computer keyboard, and use those for the 9 keys on the kiosk keypad. You just need to find out which keys on a standard keyboard correspond to those keys on the keypad.

As we've already pointed out, chances are that, if the keys on the kiosk are laid out like the keys on the numeric keypad (and especially if they're numbered as such), assigning numeric keypad shortcut keys to your buttons will do the trick.

SO TRY THAT ALREADY and then come back to say how it worked. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Lorne
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Feb 2001

As for how to lay out the navigation itself, you need to decide how you want it to look. How big (width/height) are the videos? You probably want to display them right on the page. Do you want to show anything else? Text? Instructions for the user, so they know what key to press to view the different videos?

I'd probably use two pages: one main page with the "menu" that the user can select from, with a button for every video...perhaps even a thumbnail image if you have room for it, and a brief description or descriptive title is a must. When you click on one of those buttons (by pressing the appropriate kiosk key) you jump to the other page, load up the appropriate video, play it, and return to the main page when it ends.

Or, you could have a separate page for each video (so 9 pages in addition to your main "menu" page), and just jump to the appropriate page according to the button that the user selected.

You would probably also want to give them a way to exit from the video page without watching the whole video, too, which you could do by putting a Text or Hotspot Object on the page with a shortcut key assigned to it, so the user can go "back" (jump back to the main menu page)...and a bit of text below the video telling them to press "1" to go back, or whatever.

Comment

• ed46
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2002

thanks for your reply.Sounds like you are as frustrated with this as I am. The client will give me no info as to whether this is mac, pc os, or a vcd player, no instruction manual, no manufacturer name to be able to
                  verify some of the needed information. He will not give me the unit so I can test the cd after I do it. I am
                  just going to follow your suggestions and go from there.

thanks for your timely responses, I appreciate it.
                  ed 46

Comment

• Lorne
                    Indigo Rose Staff Member
                    • Feb 2001

Um, I'd be wary of a client that reticent...unless it's simply that they don't have the info themselves, which is also suspicious. If they can't tell you what kind of kiosk it is, how are you supposed to program an application for it? For all you know it could be a DVD player, and the keys on the kiosk are the remote control. Or, for that matter, a cardboard box with a bunch of hamsters in it.

Are they paying you for your time, and do you have written assurance (a contract) that they will do so? If so, hey it's their dime, if they want you to program a Windows app they'll never be able to use... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...although it's really in your best interest to see that they're satisfied, one way or the other. You're more likely to make them happy by finding out what they really need, and filling that need, than to do what they say, and end up wasting your time and their money on something they can't use.

Comment

• John-oh
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Jun 2000

I'd start breeding Hamsters ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

• ed46
                        Forum Member
                        • Sep 2002

good advice. here where we are. I have my nine video clips converted to nine mpeg 1 files. I have a project
                        started in auto play 4.0 and want to put one clip on each page. I put the first clip on page one, preview it
                        and its fine. create a new page and place video clip two on it, and preview it and it plays clip one. I cancel
                        the page out and start again, same results. check and re-check the clip itself, and its o.k. what could I be doing wrong. ed46

Comment

• Lorne
                          Indigo Rose Staff Member
                          • Feb 2001

When you preview, are you previewing the project, or the page?

Project > Preview

or

Page > Preview

?

If you preview the project, it will still show you page 1, if that's set up as your start page in the Project Settings. Even if you're currently working on page 2 (or 52 for that matter).

Comment

• ed46
                            Forum Member
                            • Sep 2002

thanks,

I would prefer a main menu page, but they do not want that. I think I am going to make a call
                            and have them change some of their original ideas to one that is much more easily done. Its for a
                            trade show, so they do not want a menu, just the ability to go from one chapter to the next. A menu
                            ymakes more sense to me. When the program starts , it needs to begin somewhere. Any way, let's say
                            we have a main menu with two video clips, page one is the menu, page 2 video clip one, and page three
                            video clip 2. How do we do it. Lorne, I was in a car accident 6 months ago and got a broken neck and
                            major head injuries. Its very hard to read instructions ( which normally I would enjoy, I was one of those
                            who actually like manuals ) but if some exlains it to me, then I can go on my own. ed46

Comment

• Corey
                              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                              • Aug 2002

Reticent hamsters...

Corey Milner
                              Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Working...
                              X